[NatureNS] Cougars and Ivory-billed woodpeckers

From: "Andy Moir/Christine Callaghan" <slickdog1@gmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 12:31:15 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0114_01CC4D22.3E716F30

I have said all I want to say on this subject, because we are spending =
our energies preparing for our court case against M. Belliveau and the =
province.  I would add, however, that I find the term NIMBY particularly =
derogatory.  It is now used in the same way as the N word was used in =
the deep south when I was there in the 60s working on civil rights =
issues.  Calling someone a NIMBY is used by proponents to dismiss any =
argument made by those objecting to their project.  Calling somebody a =
meaningless and ugly name is a whole lot easier, and lazier, than =
dealing with the merits of their case.  Protecting what goes on in my =
back yard is not only acceptable, it is often laudable. =20
Andy
=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20