[NatureNS] Fw: Nestling Found; ID? Course of Action?

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 08:16:25 -0300
From: Helene Van Doninck <helene.birdvet@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0015173fee5e096a0604a778d93f

Sadly there are free roaming cats everywhere and they take a heavy toll on
birds and other wildlife. That being said, feathered fledglings, especially
if it can be verified that the parents are in fact alive and tending to it.
...should be left alone. Many people ask me to take healthy fledged young
with attentive parents based on the presence of cats in the area. Sadly the
reply to that is I'd have to take every baby bird in if I wanted to protect
them, cats are everywhere. Parent birds do a better job of raising babies
than any person...even me :)
Helene
On 2011-07-05 2:45 PM, "David&Jane Schlosberg" <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> Dave has taken the bird to Hope, at work at the veterinary clinic here in
Dartmouth.

Dartmouth. With all the cats around, there wasn't a chance the mother
couldhave done anything.

> The only nest around would be starlings on the adjacent house roof; but
the the bird has white on the tertials and secondaries of its wings and
white on the ends of its tailfeathers, a buff breast, a buff band around the
back of its head. It's about house sparrow size.

> What is it?
>
> I don't want to nurse it. What should I do?
>
> Dave Schlosberg
>  vh

--0015173fee5e096a0604a778d93f

on birds and other wildlife. That being said, feathered fledglings, especia=
lly if it can be verified that the parents are in fact alive and tending to=
 it. ...should be left alone. Many people ask me to take healthy fledged yo=
ung with attentive parents based on the presence of cats in the area. Sadly=
 the reply to that is I&#39;d have to take every baby bird in if I wanted t=
o protect them, cats are everywhere. Parent birds do a better job of raisin=
g babies than any person...even me :)<br>

Helene<br>
On 2011-07-05 2:45 PM, &quot;David&amp;Jane Schlosberg&quot; &lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca">dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt; wrot=
e:<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Dave has taken the bird to Hope, at work at the veterinary clinic here=
 in Dartmouth.=A0<br>
&gt; =A0<br>
&gt; ----- Original Message -----<br>
&gt; From: David&amp;Jane Schlosberg<br>
&gt; To: NatureNS<br>
&gt; Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 9:54 AM<br>
&gt; Subject: Nestling Found; ID? Course of Action?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I rescued a a nestling bird on the ground beside my house here in down=
town Dartmouth. With all the cats around, there wasn&#39;t a chance the mot=
her couldhave done anything.<br>
&gt; =A0<br>
&gt; The only nest around would be starlings on the adjacent house roof; bu=
t the the bird has white=A0on the tertials and secondaries of its wings and=
 white on the ends of its tailfeathers, a buff breast, a buff band around t=
he back of its head. It&#39;s about house sparrow size.<br>

&gt; =A0 <br>
&gt; What is it?<br>
&gt; =A0<br>
&gt; I don&#39;t want to nurse it. What should I do?<br>
&gt; =A0<br>
&gt; Dave Schlosberg<br>
&gt; =A0vh</p>

--0015173fee5e096a0604a778d93f--