[NatureNS] White Point birds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 13:40:40 -0300

It has been a busy but so soggy week here in White Point. I am finding part
shells from Robins about the yard. Looks like the rearing of young is well
under way.
There are many, many grackles about; still posturing and inflating but most
of the females have nests underway I think. Certainly various sites are
being defended.
This week so far we have had a number of warblers and small birds that I
must learn to identify more quickly.
Rose breasted Grosbeaks, male and female and in between.
I have one female grosbeak that is confusing so contacted someone to see
what I should check on to try to identify it. I will need a photo to capture
the underwing I believe. It is the largest grosbeak I've seen, looks like a
female, has a two coloured beak and has a lovely yellow breast without
streaking down to the belly area.....I have seen it a few times now but it
is very shy. It has so far flown away with its back to me so not able to see
the underwing.
Last evening we had several rose breasteds here, a male and female and the
female was in the same part of the grapevine as the earlier bird and I
think the RB was considerably smaller. Now I want photos and the two birds
there at the same time. I was hoping for another view as it almost cleared
and the feeders received a rush of birds, but all that showed up was a
mockingbird. It has been while since last I saw one here so that was
pleasing. Haven't seen it today but any sensible bird to day would be tucked
in somewhere dry. There are hummingbirds now visiting the feeders regularly.
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens