[NatureNS] White-breasted nuthatch bill sweeping

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 00:09:27 +0000

--_59271f5f-ed8f-4bec-bd1f-4ff2880d5a76_

Hi all:
=20
In researching this behaviour further in my book Birds' Nests by Hal H. Har=
rison=2C which is a Peterson Field Guide it says the following:
=20
That a strange behaviour occurs known as bill sweeping seen only during bre=
eding season=2C may be territorial defense mechanism.  Both birds engage in=
 prolonged sweeping of bill in a wide arc in or outside cavity=2C generally=
 with insect held in bill.  Unproven theory is that crushed insect may repe=
l squirrels searching for available cavity.  It is unlikely that this is co=
urtship behaviour.  On the basis of observations both this year and last ye=
ar=2C locals saw this behaviour with pieces of grass and wood=2C which tell=
s me that possibly we might have a geographical difference here or ornithol=
ogists do not know a whole lot about this behaviour yet.  This behaviour wa=
s seen at the nest entrance and also on parts of the surrounding tree. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bayport 		 	   		  =

--_59271f5f-ed8f-4bec-bd1f-4ff2880d5a76_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
In researching this behaviour further in my book Birds' Nests by Hal H. Har=
rison=2C which is a Peterson Field Guide it says the following:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
That a strange behaviour occurs known as bill sweeping seen only during bre=
eding season=2C may be territorial defense mechanism.&nbsp=3B Both birds en=
gage in prolonged sweeping of bill in a wide arc in or outside cavity=2C ge=
nerally with insect held in bill.&nbsp=3B Unproven theory is that crushed i=
nsect may repel squirrels searching for available cavity.&nbsp=3B It is unl=
ikely that this is courtship behaviour.&nbsp=3B On the basis of observation=
s both this year and last year=2C locals saw this behaviour with pieces of =
grass and wood=2C which tells me that possibly we might have a geographical=
 difference here or ornithologists do not know a whole lot about this behav=
iour yet.&nbsp=3B This behaviour was seen at the nest entrance and also on =
parts of the surrounding tree.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  </body>

--_59271f5f-ed8f-4bec-bd1f-4ff2880d5a76_--