[NatureNS] Dogs on walks

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:22:28 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--001636eef5c558f9f204a143bade

The problem with dog faeces and dogs off the leash is a matter of quantity.

Faeces: who wants to walk a trail lined with it...an exaggeration, I know,
but on a well used trail one could almost connect the dots.

Off the leash: how many times have you seen owners incessantly calling their
dogs, "Here boy...come here!" and the dog never comes. Who's to
differentiate between a well-trained dog and one that the owner just claims
is well-trained? Not to mention that some owners think it hilarious or
exciting when Rover chases a rabbit (hare) or chipmunk, etc.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 18 April 2011 22:01, Frederick W. Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca> wrote:

> On 4/18/2011 8:46 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:
>
>   I would not have dreamed of carrying dog
>> droppings out of these woods. And I can not imagine why one would do so
>> now.
>>
>> It is a good fertilizer and a good food resource for creatures so
>> adapted. To carry a biological resource out of woodland and then dump it
>> into a 'land-fill' is, in my view, a triple abomination.
>>
>> It robs woodland of a useful resource, burdens an expensive and
>> unsustainable 'waste' disposal system and creates problems for future
>> generations by filling 'leak-proof' landfills with decomposable organic
>> materials below the zone of aerobic biological activity where they can
>> not decompose and become part of .the nutrient cycle.
>>
>> Life depends upon closed nutrient cycles. Western so-called civilization
>> seems determined to generate one-way flow of nutrients; soil to landfill
>> or soil to sea.
>>

> * it's nice to hear this said. Dog feces are one of the few ways in which,
> in common practice, nutrients can be imported into natural habitats, and our
> forests have generally been depleted of nutrients by logging -
> http://pinicola.ca/limnutr.htm
>
> fred schueler
>         Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
> Bishops Mills Natural History Centre - http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm
> now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -
> http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.htm
> Daily Paintings - http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/
>    RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>  on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52'N 75* 42'W
>   (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca/

--001636eef5c558f9f204a143bade

The problem with dog faeces and dogs off the leash is a matter of quantity.=
aggeration, I know, but on a well used trail one could almost connect the d=
ots.</div>

ssantly calling their dogs, &quot;Here boy...come here!&quot; and the dog n=
ever comes. Who&#39;s to differentiate between a well-trained dog and one t=
hat the owner just claims is well-trained? Not to mention that some owners =
think it hilarious or exciting when Rover chases a rabbit (hare) or chipmun=
k, etc.</div>

ueler <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bckcdb@istar.ca">bckcdb@istar=
gin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

r>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
=A0I would not have dreamed of carrying dog<br>
droppings out of these woods. And I can not imagine why one would do so<br>
now.<br>
It is a good fertilizer and a good food resource for creatures so<br>
adapted. To carry a biological resource out of woodland and then dump it<br=

into a &#39;land-fill&#39; is, in my view, a triple abomination.<br>
It robs woodland of a useful resource, burdens an expensive and<br>
unsustainable &#39;waste&#39; disposal system and creates problems for futu=
re<br>
generations by filling &#39;leak-proof&#39; landfills with decomposable org=
anic<br>
materials below the zone of aerobic biological activity where they can<br>
not decompose and become part of .the nutrient cycle.<br>
Life depends upon closed nutrient cycles. Western so-called civilization<br=

seems determined to generate one-way flow of nutrients; soil to landfill<br=

or soil to sea.<br>
* it&#39;s nice to hear this said. Dog feces are one of the few ways in whi=
ch, in common practice, nutrients can be imported into natural habitats, an=
d our forests have generally been depleted of nutrients by logging - <a hre=
f=3D"http://pinicola.ca/limnutr.htm" target=3D"_blank">http://pinicola.ca/l=
imnutr.htm</a><br>

fred schueler<br>
------------------------------------------------------------<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Frederick W. Schueler &amp; Aleta Karstad<br>
Bishops Mills Natural History Centre - <a href=3D"http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.=
htm" target=3D"_blank">http://pinicola.ca/bmnhc.htm</a><br>
now in the field on the Thirty Years Later Expedition -<br>
arget=3D"_blank">http://fragileinheritance.org/projects/thirty/thirtyintro.=
htm</a><br>
Daily Paintings - <a href=3D"http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://karstaddailypaintings.blogspot.com/</a><br>
 =A0 =A0RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0<br>
 =A0on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52&#39;N 75* 42&#39;W<br>
 =A0 (613)258-3107 &lt;bckcdb at <a href=3D"http://istar.ca" target=3D"_bla=
nk">istar.ca</a>&gt; <a href=3D"htt