[NatureNS] South Shore Birds

From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@eastlink.ca>
To: NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:33:48 -0400

Carol and I took an overnight trip to see some of the birds on the South
Shore.  Highlights were:

Jan 17
Brooklyn - Wood Duck (thanks Dorothy)
CSI - Brant,  Black-bellied Plovers,  American Kestral,  Swamp Sparrow

Jan 28
Lwr East Pubnico - DC Cormorant
Shag Harbour - Belted Kingfisher (but no Great Blue Heron)
CSI - Dunlin (lots),  Ruddy Turnstone (1),  Red Knot (a few),  Yellow-rumped
Warbler (thanks Johnny and Sandra)

The shorebirds were at The Hawk.  We tried for the Snowy Owls behind the
church at The Hawk but didn't see them.  From that vantage point we could
see a larger flock of shorebirds in the distance but they didn't come into
the Hawk on either day.

Small flocks of Snow Buntings lifted off beside the highway in Queens,
Shelburne and Yarmouth counties.

I finally took my winter list over the 100 mark.  In 2008, Blake and I had
hit 100 by December 15.  I guess the trick is to start early in December,
when some stragglers are still hanging around.

For those of you that have been to Seal Island, we met Ronnie Kenny near his
home in Clark's Hbr.  He is looking good.  He is one of the best
story-tellers in Nova Scotia and great to have with us in the evenings on
Seal Island.

Don

Don MacNeill
donmacneill@eastlink.ca