[NatureNS] Right Anser Weekend

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
CC: <macklins@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 19:22:14 -0400

--_dbcda339-f093-4db9-9bdf-422588eb9298_

Hello folks=2C
=20
   Although both these rarities - the Anser anser  (Greylag Goose / Oie cen=
dr=E9e) of NS and the Anser brachyrhynchos (Oie =E0 bec court - Pink-footed=
 Goose) of NB have been well reported for the weekend past (and the latter =
for today)=2C it is rare=2C indeed=2C that I get two lifers in one weekend =
in Canada=2C so I had to share my excitement and appreciation.  Thanks to t=
he discoverers=2C Eric Mills and Stuart Tingley=2C and all those who have h=
elped us keep track of them -- especially Dwaine Oakley and the family at 1=
32 Mountain Lee=2C who led us to the North River Greylag Saturday=2C and Lo=
uis-=C9mile Cormier=2C whose close attention to the Pink-footed Goose at Co=
cagne/Cormierville convinced me to give it one more try instead of leaving =
without seeing it after about 6 hours searching on Sunday!  Yes=2C there it=
 was Sunday afternoon=2C on the huge lawn next to the famous autobody shop =
at 2662 route 535=2C on my 7th try there!  So=2C a big weekend for me=2C bu=
t nothing compared to the exploits of some of the New Brunswick birders=2C =
including Denise Godin and others from the Peninsule Acadienne=2C who saw b=
oth these on Saturday a.m.=2C and tossed in another species of Anser=2C the=
 Greater White-fronted Goose (Oie rieuse) in between=2C at Fort Beaus=E9jou=
r. =20
=20
    I was also delighted to hear that Macklin Smith had seen the Greylag.  =
He was probably the last on Saturday to see it near the quarry=2C as all th=
ose who came later spent time scanning the Canadas there  without success u=
ntil someone came along and directed them/us to the Mountain Lee site.  It =
1s a measure of the rarity of that species that Mack=2C who has had the hig=
hest ABA Area life list for the past several years (880 species at last rep=
ort)=2C needed to get it.  Too bad that all the rest of us got there too la=
te to meet him.

   When I first saw the Greylag (with the group as described by Joan Czapal=
ay)=2C the views were fairly good=2C but it did not flap its wings and the =
tall grass obscured the feet=2C so I returned in mid-afternoon=2C and was a=
ble to study it for another half-hour.  This time I got better looks=2C inc=
luding the pale forewings=2C the pinkish legs and feet=2C and even a hind t=
oe!  It looked to me like a juvenile of the western race (A. a. anser) =2C =
as illustrated on plate 3 of Owen's Wild Geese of the World.  The striking =
feature distinguishing it from the other Anseres was its greyness=2C with n=
o sign of the brown head and cast to much of the plumage seen in the Pink-f=
ooted and White-fronted.
=20
   =20
   Great fun!  Now if some of those Halifax rarities would cooperate that w=
ell!

  Cheers

Wayne P. Neily
=20
Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia
=20
"In wildness is the preservation of the world." - Henry D. Thoreau=20

 		 	   		  =

--_dbcda339-f093-4db9-9bdf-422588eb9298_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Tahoma
}
--></style>
</head>
Hello folks=2C<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Although both these rarities=
 - the <EM>Anser anser</EM>&nbsp=3B (Greylag Goose / Oie cendr=E9e) of NS a=
nd the <EM>Anser brachyrhynchos</EM> (Oie =E0 bec court - Pink-footed Goose=
) of NB have been well reported for the weekend past (and the latter for to=
day)=2C it is rare=2C indeed=2C that I get two lifers in one weekend in Can=
ada=2C so I had to share my excitement and appreciation.&nbsp=3B Thanks to =
the discoverers=2C Eric Mills and Stuart Tingley=2C and all those who have =
helped us keep track of them&nbsp=3B-- especially&nbsp=3BDwaine Oakley and =
the family at 132 Mountain Lee=2C who led us to the North River Greylag Sat=
urday=2C and Louis-=C9mile Cormier=2C whose close attention to the Pink-foo=
ted Goose at Cocagne/Cormierville&nbsp=3Bconvinced me to give it one more t=
ry instead of leaving without seeing it after about 6 hours&nbsp=3Bsearchin=
g on Sunday!&nbsp=3B Yes=2C there it was Sunday afternoon=2C on the huge la=
wn next to the famous autobody shop at 2662 route 535=2C&nbsp=3Bon my 7th t=
ry there!&nbsp=3B So=2C a big weekend for me=2C but nothing compared to the=
 exploits of some of the New Brunswick birders=2C including Denise Godin an=
d others from the Peninsule Acadienne=2C who saw both these on Saturday a.m=
.=2C and tossed in another species of <EM>Anser</EM>=2C&nbsp=3Bthe Greater =
White-fronted Goose (Oie rieuse) in between=2C at Fort Beaus=E9jour.&nbsp=
=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B I was also delighted to hear that Macklin Smith ha=
d seen the Greylag.&nbsp=3B He was probably the last on Saturday to see it&=
nbsp=3Bnear the quarry=2C as all those who came later spent time scanning t=
he&nbsp=3BCanadas&nbsp=3Bthere &nbsp=3Bwithout success&nbsp=3Buntil someone=
 came along and directed them/us to the Mountain Lee site.&nbsp=3B It 1s a =
measure of the rarity of that species that Mack=2C who has had&nbsp=3Bthe h=
ighest ABA Area life list for the past&nbsp=3Bseveral years (880 species at=
 last report)=2C needed to get it.&nbsp=3B Too bad that all the rest of us =
got there too late to meet him.<BR>
<BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BWhen&nbsp=3BI&nbsp=3Bfirst saw the Greylag (wit=
h the group as described by Joan Czapalay)=2C the views were fairly good=2C=
 but it did not flap its wings and the tall grass obscured the feet=2C so I=
 returned in mid-afternoon=2C and was able to study it for another half-hou=
r.&nbsp=3B This time I got better looks=2C including the pale forewings=2C =
the pinkish legs and feet=2C and even a hind toe!&nbsp=3B It looked to me l=
ike a juvenile of the western race (<EM>A. a. anser</EM>)&nbsp=3B=2C as ill=
ustrated on plate 3 of Owen's <EM>Wild Geese of the World</EM>.&nbsp=3B&nbs=
p=3BThe striking feature distinguishing it from the other <EM>Anseres</EM> =
was its greyness=2C with no sign of the brown head and cast to much of the =
plumage seen in the Pink-footed and&nbsp=3BWhite-fronted.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B <BR>&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BGreat fun!&nbsp=3B Now=
 if some of those Halifax rarities would cooperate that well!<BR><BR>&nbsp=
=3B Cheers<BR><BR>
<DIV>
<P class=3DecxecxecxMsoNormal>
<P class=3DecxecxecxMsoNormal><SPAN lang=3DEN-US><FONT face=3D"Times New Ro=
man"><STRONG><FONT size=3D5></FONT></STRONG></FONT></SPAN></P>Wayne P. Neil=
y<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia<BR>&nbsp=3B<BR>"In wil=
dness is the preservation of the world." - Henry D. Thoreau <BR><BR></DIV> =

--_dbcda339-f093-4db9-9bdf-422588eb9298_--