[NatureNS] a question

Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 04:36:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kathleen MacAulay <roughlegged_hawk@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-1976881248-1288956975=:95340

My experience of chickadees is that while they are very bold and are willing to
come quite close to humans for food, I wouldn't describe them as friendly. I
don't think they generally form a relationship with humans beyond "feed me!" I
think they are found near humans so often (e.g., in backyards) because they are
so willing to take advantage of the food we provide. And I think a chickadee
coming close to a human or other large animal is pretty safe and not stupid,
considering that they are so small and fast and hard to catch. I don't think
anything bigger than a sharp-shinned hawk is regularly able to catch chickadees.

As for identifying individuals, I've noticed that chickadees often have
different markings on their bib patch. There have been several chickadees I've
seen over the years that were distinct enough to identify reliably. For example,
one had a really straight lower border and two white-speckled patches in the
bib. If you can't identify them based on their appearance, I think you're out of
luck.

Bird-marking dyes do exist, but (correct me if I'm wrong, list) I don't think
it's legal for anyone to mark wild birds in any way without a research permit.

Kathleen MacAulay

Milford Station