[NatureNS] Some interesting Karst topography birds yesterday

From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:17:17 -0300

After participating in the BNS field trip led by Sherman Williams chasing
the Tidal Bore up the Kennetcook River (thanks, Sherm!), Wendy and I took a
little walk into the abandoned gypsum quarry about 500 m east of Exit 5 on
Highway 101.  We were looking for signs of interesting flora, including late
blooming asters and goldenrods.  We did find Heart-leaved Aster and Zig-zag
Goldenrod, both uncommon around Halifax, but most noteworthy were the birds
we saw.

Just after we arrived on site, a Pileated Woodpecker flew over, making quite
an odd vocalization.  On the large pond, observable from the highway, no
ducks were visible but there was a single Pied-billed Grebe near the reeds.
At the end of the straight-ahead path where there is another smaller pond, a
flock of 8 Green-winged Teal took off as soon as I noticed them.  As we
walked back to the car after checking out a side path to the quarry site
itself, I heard and then noticed an Eastern Phoebe busily catching a few
insects, including a bright red Meadowhawk dragonfly (I was unable to
identify the odonate!).

So, not many birds were seen but those that were seen were interesting
ones!!

Bob McDonald
Halifax