[NatureNS] Gulls, hummers and

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 12:06:36 -0300

We still have around 40 gulls camping out in the neighbourhood. I think
people have tired of feeding them, and off getting mobbed every time one
steps outside and now the waste from them. Most are settled down in my yard,
and on my rooves at the moment, crying piteously from time to time. One or
two look to be in dire straits.
Should one actually die, is anyone interested in the creature or should we
compost the remains? I have just a little cat food (kibble) left and then I
am out of food unless I cook white rice (useless as a food value for the I
would think) or something. My months grocery budget as well as bird seed
budgets are shot.
I have been trying to think how to get these birds back to the shore. I
guess simply put out the last of the food and leave is about all I can do.
They seem so inclined to stay here and in the parking lots in town. So many
are juveniles wanting to be fed by others.

We have hummingbirds, all ruby throats so far, passing through. Several a
day. Very little interest in the feeders but they are visiting various
flowers and skimming tree branches, protein hunting I expect.
Yesterday I went to Dayspring and all along the way I saw robins moving
south. A lot of very red robins.

Just now there was a red breasted Nuthatch, in glorious colour, checking out
empty feeding stations. I haven't seen a woodpecker other than several
Northern Flickers, here all summer......very, very unusual!
Best regards,
Marg Millard, White Point, Queens
http://MargMillard.ca