[NatureNS] Wasp nests

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:05:11 -0300
From: "V. Redden" <Reddenville@nncweb.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------080803050703060507090708

So they do leave the nest at the end of the season, when is the end of
their season- I might be able to wait until then.
If I knocked the nest off the ladder would they leave it or still
inhabit it from where it landed?
Next year I will install the fake nests in that area.
Virginia Redden
Port Howe

--
They hang the man and flog the woman
That steal the goose from off the common,

--------------080803050703060507090708

<head>
</head>
the end of the season, when is the end of their season- I might be able
to wait until then. <br>
If I knocked the nest off the ladder would they leave it or still
inhabit it from where it landed? <br>
Next year I will install the fake nests in that area.<br>
Virginia Redden <br>
Port Howe<br>
Doug Linzey wrote:
after dark when the wasps are inactive, then spray the foam at the
nest, and it plugs it up, and kills the wasps.
Fine advice for a naturalist group! Does anyone know what benefits
paper wasps might contribute to the ecosystem? I'm quite happy to
discourage them from establishing nests earlier in the season where I
don't want them, but they seem quite innocuous (as long as they're not
on my favourite ladder, of course) otherwise. And their empty nests at
the end of the season are wonders to behold.
Doug Linzey<br>
  <pre wrap="">
<hr size="4" width="90%">