[NatureNS] Window collision, with bad results

From: "Joyce Norris" <whuzzy@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:38:19 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_007D_01CB3C65.F9C8F010

I was on the couch watching the animal shows I so enjoy on Sunday =
mornings, at about 9:30 and could see something coming in at a fairly =
good speed, plow into the window and drop like a stone. I brought the =
little bird in, but it died shortly after. I think it was a black and =
white warbler. Others that have hit the picture window, have generally =
come from the feeders about 10 feet away in the maple tree so they =
aren't flyng quite as fast as this little one. Between the crows and =
being away, there was nothing in the feeders. I used to have another in =
the crab tree a bit closer and off to the side of the window but had to =
get rid of it because of the crows. I'll try to put something back =
there. If they stop at the feeder, t hey might not see the picture =
window from the same angle and not fly into it. This poor little soul is =
the first fatality.

I know there has been discussion about how to keep birds from flying =
into large glass windows but I don't remember if any definitive solution =
was offered

Just curious if there are any ideas as this likely won't be the last =
time it happens.

Thx
Joyce
------=_NextPart_000_007D_01CB3C65.F9C8F010

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE>.hmmessage P {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: =
0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
BODY.hmmessage {
	FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma; FONT-SIZE: 10pt
}
</STYLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.18928"></HEAD>
<BODY class=3Dhmmessage bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I was on the couch watching the animal shows I =
so enjoy on=20
Sunday mornings, at about 9:30&nbsp;and could see something coming in at =
a=20
fairly good speed, plow into the window and drop like a stone. I brought =
the=20
little bird in, but it died shortly after. I think it was a black and =
white=20
warbler. Others that have hit the picture window, have generally come =
from the=20
feeders about 10 feet away in the maple tree so they aren't flyng quite =
as fast=20
as this little one. Between the crows and being away, there was nothing =
in the=20
feeders. I used to have another in the crab tree a bit closer and off to =
the=20
side of the window but had to get rid of it because of the crows. I'll =
try to=20
put something back there. If they stop at the feeder, t hey might not =
see the=20
picture window from the same angle and not fly into it. This poor little =
soul is=20
the first fatality.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I know there has been discussion about how to =
keep birds=20
from flying into large glass windows but I don't remember if any =
definitive=20
solution was offered</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Just curious if there are any ideas as this =
likely won't=20
be the last time it happens.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Thx</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Joyce</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_007D_01CB3C65.F9C8F010--