[NatureNS] Bat ID

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 13:08:44 -0300
From: Peter Payzant <pce@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_15V/zDqrKWOd5QtpgW2FJQ)

Interesting that you find this bat scary looking, Jeannie. To me it's
appealing, vulnerable, cute, maybe frightened.

Many people find spiders terrifying, and some people also react to
snakes in the same way. My grandmother couldn't tolerate looking at even
a photo of a snake, and my sister can't stand even a tiny spider in the
room with her. These are irrational fears, but they are very real and
deeply-felt to those who feel them.

I've often wondered if these feelings are some automatic reaction buried
deep in our brains from the time when we were more connected with the
natural world and had to make rapid automatic decisions that might be
life-saving. On the other hand, they could be mere cultural
conditioning: there are so many folk tales in our culture. For example,
bats wanting to get into your hair, and bats are often associated with
Dracula tales, Halloween and so on.

In any case, bats are fascinating creatures and, if not ill with rabies
or living in our buildings, completely inoffensive to people. It's worth
reading up a little on them to find out something about their lives. And
for really cute faces, check out "flying fox" in Google Images.

Peter Payzant

Jeannie Shermerhorn wrote:
> Hi,was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of bat this? It
> sure is scary looking.

--Boundary_(ID_15V/zDqrKWOd5QtpgW2FJQ)

<head>
</head>
scary looking, Jeannie. To me it's appealing, vulnerable, cute, maybe
frightened.<br>
Many people find spiders terrifying, and some people also react to
snakes in the same way. My grandmother couldn't tolerate looking at
even a photo of a snake, and my sister can't stand even a tiny spider
in the room with her. These are irrational fears, but they are very
real and deeply-felt to those who feel them.<br>
I've often wondered if these feelings are some automatic reaction
buried deep in our brains from the time when we were more connected
with the natural world and had to make rapid automatic decisions that
might be life-saving. On the other hand, they could be mere cultural
conditioning: there are so many folk tales in our culture. For example,
bats wanting to get into your hair, and bats are often associated with
Dracula tales, Halloween and so on.<br>
In any case, bats are fascinating creatures and, if not ill with rabies
or living in our buildings, completely inoffensive to people. It's
worth reading up a little on them to find out something about their
lives. And for really cute faces, check out "flying fox" in Google
Images.<br>
Peter Payzant<br>
Jeannie Shermerhorn wrote:
 type="cite">
tell me what kind of bat this? It sure is scary looking.</font><br>

--Boundary_(ID_15V/zDqrKWOd5QtpgW2FJQ)--