[NatureNS] Twig Caterpillar, Halifax

Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:44:15 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_3148531==.ALT

         Thanks to everyone who contributed sources of information
about the "twig" caterpillar or inchworm which I found.  I don't have
a photo for later reference, but looking at the various field guides
and websites which Bev Wigney recommended, I keep returning to Besma
quercivoraria,  the Oak Besma, one of the Geometridae.  I was amazed
by the wonderful photography of these moths and their larvae which is
available.  I only wish that the images gave some indication of
size.  However, the book which Dave McCorquodale mentioned,
Caterpillars of Eastern North America: a guide to identification and
natural history by David L. Wagner (Princeton U.P., 2005),  does give
that sort of information.

         Thanks also to David Webster for correcting my careless
terminology.  I knew better, but can only plead that I was tired and
the right words weren't coming to me!  I just hoped you'd know what I
was getting at ...

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

>At 07:59 AM 02/08/2010, you wrote:
>Hi Patricia & All,                Aug 2, 2010
>    Those 'growth rings in the bark' are leaf scars and bud scale scars.
>Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
>----- Original Message ----- From: "P.L. Chalmers"
><plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_3148531==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Thanks to
everyone who contributed sources of information about the
&quot;twig&quot; caterpillar or inchworm which I found.&nbsp; I don't
have a photo for later reference, but looking at the various field guides
and websites which Bev Wigney recommended, I keep returning to
of the Geometridae.&nbsp; I was amazed by the wonderful photography of
these moths and their larvae which is available.&nbsp; I only wish that
the images gave some indication of size.&nbsp; However, the book which
Dave McCorquodale mentioned,  <u>Caterpillars of Eastern North America: a
guide to identification and natural history</u> by David L. Wagner
(Princeton U.P., 2005),&nbsp; does give that sort of
information.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Thanks
also to David Webster for correcting my careless terminology.&nbsp; I
knew better, but can only plead that I was tired and the right words
weren't coming to me!&nbsp; I just hoped you'd know what I was getting at
 ...<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
wrote:<br>
Hi Patricia &amp;
All,&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Aug 2, 2010<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp; Those 'growth rings in the bark' are leaf scars and bud
scale scars.<br>
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville<br>
----- Original Message ----- From: &quot;P.L. Chalmers&quot;
&lt;plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca&gt;<br>