[NatureNS] Color-banded Piping Plovers from The Bahamas

From: Paul Evans <evans@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 14:33:12 -0300

Hello,

Thanks to the information that John forwarded that was previously supplied
by Brian I was able to submit a report on the colour-banded Piping Plover I
saw and photographed yesterday. For those who may be interested here are
some details about the research program and the bird in question provided by
Cheri Trevor-Gratto in response:

-----

This is an interesting one - it was originally banded by Sid Maddock and
Peter Doherty for my project at Island Seas Beach, Grand Bahama Island, The
Bahamas, on 24 Jan 2010.  It was seen on nest and with a brood this
June/July at Big Barasway Beach, Burgeo, Newfoundland!!  So its slowly
making its way back to The Bahamas I assume.

The purpose of the study was to see where The Bahamas wintering Piping
Plovers were breeding.  So far we have had 39 of the 57 birds marked seen
back on the breeding grounds - all on the Atlantic coast of Canada and the
US - only 3 in E Canada - NF, NB, NS (Cape Breton breeding), and the rest in
the US from Maine to North Carolina.

----

Also, here is a direct link to the blog posting describing the banding
program:
http://cvwofirstlandingspk.blogspot.com/2010/02/piping-plovers-of-bahamas.ht
ml

Ms. Trevor-Gratto was very appreciative of the information. A nice outcome
of a good outing yesterday.

Cheers,

Paul Evans
East Lawrencetown