[NatureNS] R-br. Nuthatches, Brier Island

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 22:11:00 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, Eric Mills <E.Mills@dal.ca>

--000e0cd51952befd55048ce0fe1c

Hi,

I too was on Brier all weekend - amazing to have 3 days and nights of hot,
sunny weather and no fog. This morning we awoke at our camp (at the opposit=
end of Brier to N.Point) to the sound of Red-br. Nuthatches, and many stuck
around the trees near our camp and along the trail towards Whipple Point al=
day. Apart from anything else, their numbers and proximity allowed for good
photographic opportunities - not easy with this species. There were also
some small mixed flocks of Warblers around, mostly species that breed
locally.

Eric and I went on 2 whale-watch cruises over the weekend, in calm seas and
warm sun. Aside from the usual Humpback spectaculars, birds were relatively
scarce, except for Phalaropes. We estimated at least 5,000, with the ratio
of Red to Red-necked about 50:1 or more. Some of the Reds were still in
breeding plumage.

There were 3 Whimbrel and a few other shorebirds mid-morning at low tide at
Pond Cove, which were not present earlier according to Eric. Last night a
Gt.Horned Owl perched on a tree near our camp, silhouetted in the dusk.
Yesterday and today an adult and imm. Common Tern were present together in
Westport Harbor - don't know where they breed.

Wildflowers of all kinds, including various swamp orchids, were spectacular
everywhere.

Richard

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Eric Mills <e.mills@dal.ca> wrote:

> This morning a group of 35+ Red-breasted Nuthatches was at Northern Point=
,
> Brier Island, at dawn. Many of them soon flew off to the NE, as fall
> migrants often do. This is 2-3 weeks earlier than my previous late summer
> records.
>
> The only other obvious migrant was an adult Ovenbird in the end thickets =
at
> the point.
> Sent from my BlackBerry=AE wireless device
> Eric L. Mills
> 286 Kingsburg Road
> RR#1, Rose Bay, NS B0J 2X0, Canada

--=20
#################
Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--000e0cd51952befd55048ce0fe1c

Hi,<br><br>I too was on Brier all weekend - amazing to have 3 days and nigh=
ts of hot, sunny weather and no fog. This morning we awoke at our camp (at =
the opposite end of Brier to N.Point) to the sound of Red-br. Nuthatches, a=
nd many stuck around the trees near our camp and along the trail towards Wh=
ipple Point all day. Apart from anything else, their numbers and proximity =
allowed for good photographic opportunities - not easy with this species. T=
here were also some small mixed flocks of Warblers around, mostly species t=
hat breed locally.<br>

 and warm sun. Aside from the usual Humpback spectaculars, birds were relat=
ively scarce, except for Phalaropes. We estimated at least 5,000, with the =
ratio of Red to Red-necked about 50:1 or more. Some of the Reds were still =
in breeding plumage.<br>

e at Pond Cove, which were not present earlier according to Eric. Last nigh=
t a Gt.Horned Owl perched on a tree near our camp, silhouetted in the dusk.=
 Yesterday and today an adult and imm. Common Tern were present together in=
 Westport Harbor - don&#39;t know where they breed.<br>

ail_quote">On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Eric Mills <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt=
;e.mills@dal.ca&gt;</span> wrote:<br>

r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">This morning a gr=
oup of 35+ Red-breasted Nuthatches was at Northern Point, Brier Island, at =
dawn. Many of them soon flew off to the NE, as fall migrants often do. This=
 is 2-3 weeks earlier than my previous late summer records.<br>

The only other obvious migrant was an adult Ovenbird in the end thickets at=
 the point.<br>
Sent from my BlackBerry=AE wireless device<br>
Eric L. Mills<br>
286 Kingsburg Road<br>
RR#1, Rose Bay, NS B0J 2X0, Canada<br>
0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</=