[NatureNS] Shorebirds, ----- Wolfville and Windsor

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 23:10:25 -0300
From: Sydney Penner <sfp@sydneypenner.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--------------000508030004090107010204

  Hi all,

I dropped in at a number of spots in the Windsor and Grand Pre area
yesterday (July 27) at several times throughout the day. In some spots I
saw nothing; in others, I saw thousands of Semipalmated Sandpipers.
Seeing thousands of distant Semipalmated Sandpipers flying against dark
clouds is remarkably like seeing rivers of glitter.

I had the best luck at the eastern tip of Long Island where I found lots
of Semipalmated Sandpipers with some Semipalmated Plovers and at least a
couple of Least Sandpipers mixed in. I also saw one Greater Yellowlegs
and one Black-bellied Plover, and, I think, one White-rumped Sandpiper.
At dusk a number of small flocks of Short-billed Dowitchers flew over. I
missed the Willets, curiously.

Sydney Penner
Berwick, N.S.

On 07/28/2010 10:29 PM, Richard Stern wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I too saw a Whimbrel yesterday flying towards Wolfville Harbor from
> the area of the rocky beach opposite the sewage plant. There were also
> 50+ Semi. Sandipers and a few Semi. Plovers. When I checked the
> Harbor, I couldn't find it, but did see about 20 Willets, and a few Gr
> and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, and a few Dowitchers.
>
> Today on the way back from Halifax, I checked the Windsor Sewage Plant
> - no special birds, but they have changed the layout at the north end
> - removed bushes, filled in a ditch, and put up a wire fence - MUCH
> better than before for watching both ponds and the grassy area between
> them where shorebirds tend to congregate when present.
>
> Richard
>
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 10:08 PM, James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com
> <mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all:
>
>     For the record my friend, David Walmark had a whimbrel at the end
>     of Hells Point today and six ruddy turnstones at the end of the
>     Hell in Kingsburg.
>
>     James R. Hirtle
>     Bayport
>

> --
> #################
> Richard Stern,
> 317 Middle Dyke Rd.
> Port Williams, NS, Canada
> B0P 1T0
>
> sternrichard@gmail.com <mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com>
> ###################

--------------000508030004090107010204

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    Hi all,<br>
    I dropped in at a number of spots in the Windsor and Grand Pre area
    yesterday (July 27) at several times throughout the day. In some
    spots I saw nothing; in others, I saw thousands of Semipalmated
    Sandpipers. Seeing thousands of distant Semipalmated Sandpipers
    flying against dark clouds is remarkably like seeing rivers of
    glitter.<br>
    I had the best luck at the eastern tip of Long Island where I found
    lots of Semipalmated Sandpipers with some Semipalmated Plovers and
    at least a couple of Least Sandpipers mixed in. I also saw one
    Greater Yellowlegs and one Black-bellied Plover, and, I think, one
    White-rumped Sandpiper. At dusk a number of small flocks of
    Short-billed Dowitchers flew over. I missed the Willets, curiously.<br>
    Sydney Penner<br>
    Berwick, N.S.<br>
      I too saw a Whimbrel yesterday flying towards Wolfville Harbor
      from the area of the rocky beach opposite the sewage plant. There
      were also 50+ Semi. Sandipers and a few Semi. Plovers. When I
      checked the Harbor, I couldn't find it, but did see about 20
      Willets, and a few Gr and 1 Lesser Yellowlegs, and a few
      Dowitchers.<br>
      Today on the way back from Halifax, I checked the Windsor Sewage
      Plant - no special birds, but they have changed the layout at the
      north end - removed bushes, filled in a ditch, and put up a wire
      fence - MUCH better than before for watching both ponds and the
      grassy area between them where shorebirds tend to congregate when
      present.<br>
      Richard<br>
        Hirtle <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a moz-do-not-send="true"
            href="mailto:jrhbirder@hotmail.com">jrhbirder@hotmail.com</a>&gt;</span>
        wrote:<br>
          0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
          padding-left: 1ex;">
            Hi all:<br>
            &nbsp;<br>
            For the record my friend, David Walmark had a whimbrel at
            the end of Hells Point today and six ruddy turnstones at the
            end of the Hell in Kingsburg.<br>
            &nbsp;<br>
            James R. Hirtle<br>
            Bayport<br>