Fw: [NatureNS] Pic of Moondogs over Scots Bay

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 02:37:21 -0300
From: Steve Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  Bo
Interestingly, the one image of the same thing in Wikipedia (search
for 'Moon dogs') shows the same discrepancy, with the two dogs each
elevated by perhaps 10-15 degrees above an imaginary horizontal line
drawn through the moon. The short associated text there indicates that
the explanation for Moon Dogs is exactly analogous to that for Sun
Dogs (refracting ice crystals 22 degrees out), but this view has to be
suspect.

The longer article on Sun Dogs stresses that these always lie in the
same horizontal plane as the sun.  The ice crystals supposedly
sometimes sink placidly and line up vertically in the atmosphere,
whereupon two sun dogs may appear.

   As the line-up in the two optical phenomena is somewhat different,
suggesting a common explanation for both can't be exactly correct --
we're missing something.  Perhaps the form of the ice crystals differs
when these are formed in sunlight (warmer) than when it is colder up
there, at night in moonlight?
Steve