[NatureNS] bird id

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 18:59:09 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0016e68bd3fe51556e048c010828

Hi Jeannie,

The photos you posted appear to be of a breeding- plumaged Chipping sparrow.
In non-breeding (winter) plumage it looks rather like a Clay-colored, but
not in the plumage you have illustrated- they have a quite different facial
pattern. Both have a buzzy trill, with the Clay-colored being lower pitched,
shorter and in 2 parts. Chipping sounds like a Junco, but "drier" (I
personally always have difficulty with these 2). Clay-colored is a regular
but rare fall and winter visitor to NS, but has been expanding its range
eastwards. There were no records in the 1st Atlas, and there are 4 records,
all "possible" listed in the data so far available on-line in the current
atlas, from NS -although from Suzanne B's recent posting here on NatureNS,
that one will likely be a "Probable".  Very intriguing, and further photos,
videos or recordings would definitely be useful.

Richard

--
#################
Dr.R.B.Stern,

Richard Stern,
317 Middle Dyke Rd.
Port Williams, NS, Canada
B0P 1T0

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016e68bd3fe51556e048c010828

Hi Jeannie,<br><br>The photos you posted appear to be of a breeding- plumag=
ed Chipping sparrow. In non-breeding (winter) plumage it looks rather like =
a Clay-colored, but not in the plumage you have illustrated- they have a qu=
ite different facial pattern. Both have a buzzy trill, with the Clay-colore=
d being lower pitched, shorter and in 2 parts. Chipping sounds like a Junco=
, but &quot;drier&quot; (I personally always have difficulty with these 2).=
 Clay-colored is a regular but rare fall and winter visitor to NS, but has =
been expanding its range eastwards. There were no records in the 1st Atlas,=
 and there are 4 records, all &quot;possible&quot; listed in the data so fa=
r available on-line in the current atlas, from NS -although from Suzanne B&=
#39;s recent posting here on NatureNS, that one will likely be a &quot;Prob=
able&quot;.=A0 Very intriguing, and further photos, videos or recordings wo=
uld definitely be useful.<br>

8 AM, Jeannie Shermerhorn <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jeannies@=
ote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: =
1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">

bird for me,=20
It was=A0making a=A0sound I have never heard before.It was about the size=
=20
of a sparrow.Pics aren&#39;t the best as it was on the very top of a tall b=
lue=20
spruce tree.I never thought to record the sound,however ,if it returns, I=
=20
will.The breast is all white and the bird=A0 looked to be grayish in=20
color.</font></div>
oto/38253948" target=3D"_blank">http://www.panoramio.com/photo/38253948</a>=
Canada<br>

B0P 1T0<br><br><a href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail=