[NatureNS] Golden Eagle and other sightings, northern Cape Breton

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 15:00:27 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  Lauff&lt;/A&gt;
--001485f629725ab62b048aa7b734

There was a group of fishermen near our launch site who said they spent one
of their days there at Two Island Lake; they said the going was quite tough,
but did not mention whether they followed a trail or not. I had just assumed
that they motored (whimps!) across the Flowage and hiked across the barrens.

Funny that you should mention one of the dwarf birches; three species were
all targeted (and found) on the 1996 trip, but despite looking for more this
time, we didn't find a single one.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 5 July 2010 14:51, David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

>  Hi Randy & All,                July 5, 2010
>     Not that I intend to go there but I wonder if the network of roads that
> are associated with the Cheticamp Flowage have been extended by ATV
> trails as far as Two Island Lake (I hope not).
>
>     Traffic there used to be quite light because the shortest way in was a
> tough 8 hr hike up the Clyburn (In that context I notice that the NS Atlas
> (5th ed) has the Indian Rising label one nose south of where it is). And the
> trout were accordingly abundant and underfed.
>
>     This lake is also notable in that it has a large stand (arm-pit high)
> of Betula glandulosa SE of the lake.
>
>     There was always a brisk NW wind at Two Island Lake from late evening
> until near dawn. Having not camped elsewhere on the barrens I wonder-- is
> this typical of the Park barrens in general or is it unique to this lake and
> powered e.g. by flow of cool night air down the nearby Clyburn ?
> Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

rrens.<div>

e species were all targeted (and found) on the 1996 trip, but despite looki=
r>Way in the boonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.<br>
 Webster <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dwebster@glinx.com">dwebst=
le=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

=A0=A0=A0 =A0=A0=A0 July 5, 2010</font></div>