[NatureNS] Golden Eagle and other sightings, northern Cape Breton

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:59:48 -0300
To: MBBA <MBBA@yahoogroups.com>, NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016363b9ee2b80c04048aa45a5f

All,

Tony Miller and I had a very productive atlassing trip in the Cheticamp
Flowage and points north into the Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

Firstly, the north arm of the flowage (
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Antigonish,+Antigonish+County,+Nova+Scotia,+Canada&ll=46.66063,-60.63612&spn=0.062559,0.110378&z=13)
is an incredibly productive birding spot during breeding season, I can't
think of many comparisons in this province. However, unless you walk around
the flowage, which would very much restrict your birding, you have to have
decent canoeing skills to contend with the vagaries of this large water
body. Depending on the level of the flowage (human controlled), you can
canoe up the stream feeding the flowage to a greater or lesser extent; this
time, we got over a kilometre farther than we did in 1996...what a bonus
when you've got several days' worth of gear!

I have canoed across this flowage on three other occasions, and have always
been impressed with the birds. Rusty Blackbirds were not uncommon and we got
FY in two squares. Wilson's Snipe have always been easy to see here, but we
did not get confirmations of breeding. Several species of duck were present,
and we found a few ABDU and GWTE. A real pleasure was to find two broods of
Common Goldeneye...the chicks were likely less than a week old.

Sadly, unlike in 1996, we could not entice a response from either Boreal Owl
or Northern Hawk Owl. However, the NHOW playback is an effective tool for
enticing mobbing behaviour of small birds...redstarts were particularly
attracted.

We had several Bicknell's Thrushes, including a male singing later in the
morning than expected. I used playback to entice both birds to come out. As
I played the BOOW recording after dark though, BITH would respond -
agitated?

We had three sightings of Golden Eagle - all immatures, possibly all the
same bird. One was about 2 km N of the north tip of the flowage (as mapped),
and both Tony and I confirmed this ID; it ultimately flew off to the east.
About 1 km south, another showed up, and I couldn't say that it was a
different bird; finally, along the N arm of the Flowage itself, another
showed up. Ageing is difficult for these birds, but I'm relatively confident
they weren't young-of-the-year birds. Sadly then, I think I can only assign
the sightings as X.

Similarly, a juvenile Goshawk only got an X, but a second one south of the
flowage was an adult and got an H.

Although we walked through kilometres of bog and barren, we only heard one
Greater Yellowlegs (H), though we did see one at the Flowage (X).

Finally, Fox Sparrows were almost everywhere; and it was sure nice to see so
many Wilson's Warblers - a species I almost only ever see on migration.

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016363b9ee2b80c04048aa45a5f

rip in the Cheticamp Flowage and points north into the Cape Breton Highland=
wage (<a href=3D"http://maps.google.com/?ie=3DUTF8&amp;hq=3D&amp;hnear=3DAn=
tigonish,+Antigonish+County,+Nova+Scotia,+Canada&amp;ll=3D46.66063,-60.6361=
2&amp;spn=3D0.062559,0.110378&amp;z=3D13">http://maps.google.com/?ie=3DUTF8=
&amp;hq=3D&amp;hnear=3DAntigonish,+Antigonish+County,+Nova+Scotia,+Canada&a=
mp;ll=3D46.66063,-60.63612&amp;spn=3D0.062559,0.110378&amp;z=3D13</a>) is a=
n incredibly productive birding spot during breeding season, I can&#39;t th=
ink of many comparisons in this province. However, unless you walk around t=
he flowage, which would very much restrict your birding, you have to have d=
ecent canoeing skills to contend with the vagaries of this large water body=
. Depending on the level of the flowage (human controlled), you can canoe u=
p the stream feeding the flowage to a greater or lesser extent; this time, =
we got over a kilometre farther than we did in 1996...what a bonus when you=
&#39;ve got several days&#39; worth of gear!</div>

ons, and have always been impressed with the birds. Rusty Blackbirds were n=
ot uncommon and we got FY in two squares. Wilson&#39;s Snipe have always be=
en easy to see here, but we did not get confirmations of breeding. Several =
species of duck were present, and we found a few ABDU and GWTE. A real plea=
sure was to find two broods of Common Goldeneye...the chicks were likely le=
ss than a week old.</div>

rom either Boreal Owl or Northern Hawk Owl. However, the NHOW playback is a=
n effective tool for enticing mobbing behaviour of small birds...redstarts =
were particularly attracted.</div>

e singing later in the morning than expected. I used playback to entice bot=
h birds to come out. As I played the BOOW recording after dark though, BITH=
 would respond - agitated?</div>

 possibly all the same bird. One was about 2 km N of the north tip of the f=
lowage (as mapped), and both Tony and I confirmed this ID; it ultimately fl=
ew off to the east. About 1 km south, another showed up, and I couldn&#39;t=
 say that it was a different bird; finally, along the N arm of the Flowage =
itself, another showed up.=A0Ageing=A0is difficult for these birds, but I&#=
39;m relatively confident they weren&#39;t young-of-the-year birds. Sadly t=
hen, I think I can only assign the sightings as X.</div>

 one Greater Yellowlegs (H), though we did see one at the Flowage (X).</div=

s sure nice to see so many Wilson&#39;s Warblers - a species I almost only =

--0016363b9ee2b80c04048aa45a5f--