[NatureNS] Yard: Myxomycete, Red Admiral, deer

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 20:09:16 -0300

Dear All,                July 2, 2010
Myxomycete--    I noticed a Slime Mold on a old hardwood board yesterday,
shedding light brown spores, so took a few minutes this evening to examine
it:

Stalk jet black, glabrous, polished, 0.036 mm diam x 2 mm long;

Sporangia 4.3 mm long (~7 mm long when stuffed with spores ?) x 0.36 mm
diam, cylindrical [excepting sometimes gradual increase in diameter over up
to 0.8 mm at base and gradual decrease in diameter to hemispheric tip over
0.4 mm], the general shape retained after spores are shed by a highly
branched pale brown capillitium arranged around a dark axis that tapers
gradually to the tip [sometimes becoming faint near tip & merging with
capillitium.

Spores spherical, smooth, 8.0 microns in diameter.

    It resembles an illustration of Stemonitis fusca that I happen to have
at hand.

Red Admiral-- I don't recall having seen one in the yard before this year
and have seen >5 in the garden so far; on bare soil. I planted some nettle
last year (for self not butterflies) but now see that nettle is a host for
Red Admiral.  Perhaps RA are unusually common this year (?) or perhaps the
Nettle has drawn them in but so far I have not seen them near the Nettle.

Deer-- Yesterday I noticed evidence of recent deer browse by in the yard
(June 29th likely); Aster cordifolius (Heart-leaved Aster) methodically
chewed back as usual (but the first time this year) and, new this year, new
shoots of Cornus stolonifera (Red Osier Dogwood) browsed back [perhaps
because they are unusually rank and vigorous this year].

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville