[NatureNS] Fireflies, Annapolis County

Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 00:05:07 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

This reminds me.  I was atlassing with Julie Palmer early last week
in the Annapolis Royal area.  On Monday night, 21 June, we drove up
Hollow Mountain Road towards Delaps Cove, shortly after 10 p.m.  (We
were trying to find woodcock and owls.)  I was astounded by the
number of fireflies we saw, especially in areas with wet alder
swamps.  Not tens of thousands, perhaps, but certainly hundreds and
hundreds.  It was magical, and I haven't seen anything like it in years!

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

P.S.  I have just discovered the Boston Museum of Science website has
an interesting Firefly Watch programme - lots of info at
https://www.mos.org/fireflywatch/understanding_fireflies