[NatureNS] Cedar waxwings cannibalizing nests, etc.

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 21:06:54 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016368e35a54df41e0489f7c973

Hi,

Today I found a 2nd Baltimore oriole's nest on our property, pretty close to
the 1st (active) one - neither seems active at the present time, and the
sight and sounds of the parents feeding the young in the active nest a few
days ago seems to have suddenly stopped. I haven't seen any young near the
nest, but there are a number of Grackles hanging around, which seems a bit
ominous.  However, we still have adults in the yard, and visiting the Oriole
feeder (basically an orange-colored hummingbird feeder). Today I watched a
Cedar waxwing pull material away from the outside of the 2nd oriole nest, as
well as a nearby disused robin's nest, and fly away with it - presumably to
build a nest of her own.

A number of Purple finches - no adult males, but all singing, have taken up
residence in our yard in the last few days. Our male N.cardinal has started
singing long and loud at dawn again.

This morning I watched 2 adult Bald eagles, about 10 minutes apart, flying
with prey in their talons, towards the active nest off Talon Drive, Eagle
Landing Subdivision, that still has 2 large young in it.

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

--0016368e35a54df41e0489f7c973

Hi,<br><br>Today I found a 2nd Baltimore oriole&#39;s nest on our property,=
 pretty close to the 1st (active) one - neither seems active at the present=
 time, and the sight and sounds of the parents feeding the young in the act=
ive nest a few days ago seems to have suddenly stopped. I haven&#39;t seen =
any young near the nest, but there are a number of Grackles hanging around,=
 which seems a bit ominous.=A0 However, we still have adults in the yard, a=
nd visiting the Oriole feeder (basically an orange-colored hummingbird feed=
er). Today I watched a Cedar waxwing pull material away from the outside of=
 the 2nd oriole nest, as well as a nearby disused robin&#39;s nest, and fly=
 away with it - presumably to build a nest of her own.<br>

n up residence in our yard in the last few days. Our male N.cardinal has st=
arted singing long and loud at dawn again.<br><br>This morning I watched 2 =
adult Bald eagles, about 10 minutes apart, flying with prey in their talons=
, towards the active nest off Talon Drive, Eagle Landing Subdivision, that =
still has 2 large young in it.=A0 <br>

href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a><br>######=

--0016368e35a54df41e0489f7c973--