[NatureNS] Virginia Rail, French Basin Trail, Annapolis Royal

From: "L Jenkins" <ljenkins@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:01:39 -0300

odd call which made me turn around, and a Virginia Rail flew up fro

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01CB1548.DCD11670

I was so hoping that you and Julie would be successful in i.d.-ing that =
bird, Pat.  I heard it again yesterday morning (June 25), in the same =
general location, on the NE side of the railbed, and on the town side of =
the viewing platform, but still haven't made a sighting.  I have seen =
Sora there 4 times this season, once when one flew along about a foot =
above the water (the first time I had seen a Sora in flight).

Yesterday I also saw one rail chick (perhaps two; wasn't sure if I were =
seeing two separate chicks or the same one twice) in the little 'pond' =
on the SW side of the rail bed, across from the viewing platform, =
probably the one(s) Sydney Penner had seen.  However, I wasn't sure what =
kind of a rail it was -- I know, from my resources, that Sora & Virginia =
Rail chicks are black, but the one I saw had dark brown down with some =
lighter brown on it lower parts, with some beige tail feathers growing =
in.  Does the down of rail chicks change color as they grow??

I'm so happy you were impressed with the marsh, Pat.  I'll have to keep =
my eyes peeled for the Chimney Swifts.  I probably have seen them, but =
didn't distinguish them from the swallows.  I'm still in learning mode.  =

Lois Jenkins
http://annapolisnaturewalker.blogspot.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20