[NatureNS] Canadian Breeding Bird Survey

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 01:49:24 +0000

--_3af41354-ba85-410f-8617-9798e36f06b2_

Hi all:

=20

I did my Candian Breeding Bird Survey today which starts at Jordan Falls=2C=
 goes through Shelburne and up into Welshtown.  There are fifty stops at th=
ree minutes a piece.  Of note:  Other than Palm=2C Magnolia=2C and Common Y=
ellowthroats=2C other warblers were scarce.  There were very few black & wh=
ites. This year there was an almost total absence of American redstarts and=
 few blackburnians.  Chestnut-sided warblers and yellow warblers were scarc=
e.  I did find black-throated blue warblers at six locations=2C although th=
ree locations were not at sloted stops.  There were no black-throated green=
 warblers at all this year.  Of note=2C there were more swallows on the rou=
te this year then ever before.  Barn swallow numbers were up and there were=
 three locations where two locations where they were nesting under bridges =
and one in a culvert.  Ruby-throated hummingbirds were low with only one=2C=
 when I would normally have many.  Hermit thrushes were only one quarter of=
 what I've had in the past on this route.  Normally there are 50-60 or more=
 and we only had 20 on the count route.  A yellow-bellied flycatcher was ne=
w to the route for me.

=20

I was upset initially when I saw a sign saying that Environment Canada had =
granted the Nova Scotia Power Corporation permission to spray the herbicide=
 Tordon 101 on May 25.  That is until I researched the product.  It seems s=
afe enough and also appears to be environmentally friendly.  It says that a=
round yards or waterways that a buffer zone was left.  It also states that =
there are no adverse affects on animals or insects and that if we were to i=
ngest it we could live for 60 years without harm. =20

=20

Having read the pros for the herbicide it is odd that in areas where it was=
 applied I found more or less dead zones.  Lots of activity occurred around=
 waterways=2C except for one that every other year was always productive. A=
t that one a swamp sparrow that always shows up was well in away from the r=
oad. Warblers usually at that location were totally absent as were other sp=
ecies.  Lots of activity remained around houses.  Along the corridor of spr=
aying there were no birds whatsoever.  During other years lots of activity =
occurred along those stretches=2C but overall this year two or three specie=
s were heard or seen and these species were always in the area deep in on t=
he opposite side of the road.  Along these corridors where normally lots of=
 warbler activity should be there was a vacancy.  I have no proof that the =
two are directly linked=2C it just seems odd. =20

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

=20
 		 	   		 =20
Learn more ways to connect with your buddies now
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734388=

--_3af41354-ba85-410f-8617-9798e36f06b2_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I did my Candian Breeding Bird Survey today which starts at Jordan Falls=2C=
 goes through Shelburne and up into Welshtown.&nbsp=3B There are fifty stop=
s at three minutes a piece.&nbsp=3B Of note:&nbsp=3B Other than Palm=2C Mag=
nolia=2C and Common Yellowthroats=2C other warblers were scarce.&nbsp=3B&nb=
sp=3BThere were very few&nbsp=3Bblack&nbsp=3B&amp=3B whites. This year ther=
e was an almost total absence of American redstarts and few blackburnians.&=
nbsp=3B Chestnut-sided warblers and yellow warblers were scarce.&nbsp=3B I =
did find black-throated blue warblers at six locations=2C although three lo=
cations were not at sloted stops.&nbsp=3B There were no black-throated gree=
n warblers at all this year.&nbsp=3B Of note=2C there were more swallows on=
 the route this year then ever before.&nbsp=3B Barn swallow numbers were up=
 and there were three locations where two locations where they were nesting=
 under bridges and one in a culvert.&nbsp=3B Ruby-throated hummingbirds wer=
e low with only one=2C when I would normally have many.&nbsp=3B Hermit thru=
shes were only one quarter of what I've had in the past on this route.&nbsp=
=3B Normally there are 50-60 or more and we only had 20 on the count route.=
&nbsp=3B A yellow-bellied flycatcher was new to the route for me.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I was upset initially when I saw a sign saying that Environment Canada had =
granted the Nova Scotia Power Corporation permission to spray the herbicide=
 Tordon 101 on May 25.&nbsp=3B That is until I researched the product.&nbsp=
=3B It seems safe enough and also appears to be environmentally friendly.&n=
bsp=3B It says that around yards or waterways that a buffer zone was left.&=
nbsp=3B It also states that there are no adverse affects on animals or inse=
cts and that if we were to ingest it we could live for 60 years without har=
m.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Having read the pros for the herbicide it is odd that in areas where it was=
 applied I found more or less dead zones.&nbsp=3B Lots of activity occurred=
 around waterways=2C except for one&nbsp=3Bthat every other year was always=
 productive.&nbsp=3BAt that one a swamp sparrow that always shows up was we=
ll in away from the road.&nbsp=3BWarblers usually at that location were tot=
ally absent as were other species.&nbsp=3B Lots of activity remained around=
 houses.&nbsp=3B Along the corridor of spraying there were no birds whatsoe=
ver.&nbsp=3B During other years lots of activity occurred along those stret=
ches=2C but overall this year two or three species were heard or seen and t=
hese species were always in the area deep in on the opposite side of the ro=
ad.&nbsp=3B Along these corridors where normally lots of warbler activity s=
hould be there was a vacancy.&nbsp=3B I have no proof that the two are dire=
ctly linked=2C it just seems odd.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Enter for a chance to get your town pho=
to on Bing.ca! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734383' target=
=3D'_new'>Submit a Photo Now! </a></body>

--_3af41354-ba85-410f-8617-9798e36f06b2_--