[NatureNS] Swallows and feathers was White Point birds

Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 18:15:53 -0400
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: "'naturens@chebucto.ns.ca'" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_kMNc4LPAAC1KZeTRCPL0sQ)

Hi Marg and Anne,

As was suggested, feathers are a main component of a Tree Swallow's nest lining. However, the number they use is really restricted to the availability of suitable feathers. I've seen many nests lined with dozens of feathers, and they don't have to be white either. I've found nest boxes packed exclusively with non-white, Duck feathers.

Regarding the swooping, feather behaviour, everyone should, at least once in their lives, take a bag of feathers (contour/body feathers work best and are preferred) out to an area where swallows nest when there is a steady wind blowing and let them fly into the wind. It is a perfect way to appreciate the flying ability of these birds up close.

Non-dyed feathers can be purchased from craft stores. They can be released from an elevated position or by using a pole with a small loop at the top in which to settle the feather and raise it high into the wind (a clothespin taped to an broom handle works quite nicely).

I'm fortunate to have many pairs of Tree Swallows nesting on my farm and depending on the release point I've seen 6-8 Tree Swallows, as well as a local pair of Barn Swallows, in the air at the same time vying for feathers. Make sure you have a good number of feathers as they usually won't stop taking the feathers until you have no more. Be prepared; the competition for feathers often gets noisy as territorial lines are crossed in the rush for feathers.

This work's best if the swallows are incubating eggs/young as it's at this time that they collect the majority of the feathers.

Regarding the grasp-release-grasp-release behaviour, I've thought this might be a way they test the quality of feathers through their buoyancy. Of course what's not good for one swallow is often good enough for another (or perhaps even the same one) as re-releasing a discarded feather usually results in it being taken on the second try. However, they're such amazing flyers that I'm quite happy to agree with your suggestion that they do it as play, simply because they can and it's fun.

All the best,

Lance

Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ont.