[NatureNS] Pine Warblers at Trout Lake

Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 20:36:58 -0300
From: Brian Dalzell <aythya@nb.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>

I found a single male singing in Red Pines at Wentworth PP a couple years ago, and one this spring in White Pines along the Upper Clyde River in Shelburne county.  It is only a matter of time before they are confirmed as breeding in the province (this year would be nice for the Atlas).  They are much more common in NS than people realize, but as you point out, their song is often mistaken for dark-eyed junco.  Dwayne Sabine played a Pine Warbler tape in the valley three years ago, and actually had an agitated junco come in!  If the junco can't tell the difference, it is likely that most PIWAs in NS are overlooked.  There is tons of suitable habitat.

P.S.  What is the square number for Trout Lake?