[NatureNS] Re: Need birdsong ID

From: "L Jenkins" <ljenkins@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 13:06:42 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0060_01CB070B.707A2980

Hi James

The sounds are coming from a fairly dense stand of cattails and =
phragmites (Common Reed); there are small open water spaces within the =
stand.  I checked out the Virginia Rail as you suggested, and I would =
say it is not that. =20

I heard the sound again this morning, same location; I counted 8 =
consecutive, equally spaced notes, same pitch, fairly loud, a low sound, =
like something with a bad case of laryngitis.  Just the one series of =
sounds, not repeated.  I checked out all N.S. frog sounds on FrogWatch =
as a process of elimination; it's closest to the sound of the Pickerel =
Frog, but the notes aren't as close together as in their "snore" sound.

Lois
  ----- Original Message -----=20