[NatureNS] Round Hill moths - finally some activity

Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 02:35:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: bev wigney <bev@magickcanoe.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-272123727-1275816946=:91621

Hi Angus,

Thanks!  Regarding the banding on the Nessus Sphinx, there does appear to be some variation in the prominence of the median band from one moth to the next.  I believe there are probably a couple of reasons for this.  On his Amphion floridensis species page, Bill Oehlke writes:  "At rest, dark red-brown upperwings hide the red-orange median band and yellow spot of the hindwings; in some Amphion floridensis moths the median band may be very pale or almost absent."
http://www.silkmoths.bizland.com/afloride.htm
I would very much agree regarding the visibility of the bands when the moth is at rest as compared to when in flight.  This is a photo which I took of a Nessus feeding  on Dame's Rocket and the bands are quite visible.  I suspect the effect is a bit like when we raise our arms out and to the side while wearing a coat - the bottom of the coat rises a few inches.  Also, the body of the moth would be flexed differently  when in flight and at rest.
http://www.pbase.com/crocodile/image/98067502
The other thing I wondered after checking other images online this morning, is if the prominence of the bands might have something to do with the freshness of the moth?  Perhaps as the moth ages, the bands become more visible as the surface of the body becomes more worn, exposing the bands.  That's just a guess, but I suspect it may be the case.
Anyhow, thanks for raising this question as it caused me to do a bit of reading and studying images this morning!
Bev

________________________________
Excellent pics of the Nessus Sphinx. Obviously the banding varies greatly
according to other images on the Net. Yours has the same banding as
others photographed in Florida!
Angus
--0-272123727-1275816946=:91621

Hi Bev:<br>
Excellent pics of the Nessus Sphinx. Obviously the banding varies greatly
according to other images on the Net. Yours has the same banding as
others photographed in Florida!<br>
Angus<br><br>
--0-272123727-1275816946=:91621--