[NatureNS] French - not Fundy - Basin Trail

Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2010 08:55:59 -0300
From: Bob Lindsay <rhlindsay@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I remember the first time I hiked around that large pond. It was the
fall of 2005. I'd travelled from Dartmouth, down the South Shore on
Friday afternoon, Nov. 4th, to my Scouter's Conference in Yarmouth.

Highlights at Rose Bay, Lunenburg County were a Black-necked Stilt and a
Snowy Egret - both lifers for me, and an American Avocet.

I returned home on Sunday by way of the valley, and that's when I
stopped in Annapolis Royal. The only thing notable there was a Northern
Shoveller, also a lifer. But I was truly surprised and impressed by the
size of the reeds growing beside the trail. Up to eight feet high with
reeds almost centimetre in diameter!

That was the year we were all finding so many yellow-billed cuckoos
everywhere, many exhausted and dying. I think that was due to a
hurricane, though I can't remember which one.

... just a little flashback to a time when I was more actively birding
than I am now....

cheers,
Bob Lindsay
Dartmouth