[NatureNS] Unknown Shrew

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 17:23:37 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0016e6d9a1168d927804883a1a7a

All,

To me, there are two kinds of shrews...little ones (in the genus *Sorex*)
and the much bigger, Short-tailed Shrew (*Blarina brevicauda*). Up until
recently, I have not seen the one in the following two pictures:

http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/maybedispard.jpg
<http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/maybedispard.jpg>
http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/maybedisparv.jpg

<http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/maybedisparv.jpg>So of course, I looked
up the diversity of mammals in NS and thought, the Long-tailed (Rock) Shrew
is listed as S1 by the Conservation Data Centre (I forget the exact
definition of S1, but it implies really, really, really rare at the
subnational (provincial) level). So now I'm excited that one of my Saw-whet
Owls caught something rare!

Then I started looking up some the characteristics of some other shrews, and
well, I don't think I can conclude that the photographed animal is a
Long-tail.

Can anyone out there provide any more info based on the photos? I will be
isolating the bones (regurgitated by the chicks into the nest) later this
summer, so may be able to narrow it down.

Randy
_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

--0016e6d9a1168d927804883a1a7a

rina brevicauda</i>). Up until recently, I have not seen the one in the fol=
lowing two pictures:</div>

pard.jpg">http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/maybedispard.jpg</a></div><di=
v><a h=
ref=3D"http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/maybedisparv.jpg">http://people.=
stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/maybedisparv.jpg</a></div>

parv.jpg"></a>So of course, I looked up the diversity of mammals in NS and =
thought, the Long-tailed (Rock) Shrew is listed as S1 by the Conservation D=
ata Centre (I forget the exact definition of S1, but it implies really, rea=
lly, really rare at the subnational (provincial) level). So now I&#39;m exc=
ited that one of my Saw-whet Owls caught something rare!</div>

 some=A0other shrews, and well, I don&#39;t think I can conclude that the p=
there provide any more info based on the photos? I will be isolating the bo=
nes (regurgitated by the chicks into the nest) later this summer, so may be=
 able to narrow it down.</div>

--0016e6d9a1168d927804883a1a7a--