[NatureNS] Brown Thrasher, Bald Eagle, Dying hummingbirds, Eastern Bluebird

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 01:39:00 +0000

--_75c99c10-59af-4c39-a92b-cfd36a980367_

Hi all:

=20

I've been lax recently with my postings.  My friend David Walmark had a  se=
mi-palmated plover today at Kingsburg.  Last week I checked on the eagle ne=
st at Dayspring and the young one is half the size of the adult.  It still =
had fuzzy white on the head=2C but was up on the edge flexing its wings.  I=
 had a report of a brown thrasher at Springfield at the residence of Don Ba=
rnes.  I've also had a call about an eastern bluebird that was at Barrs Cor=
ner=2C for a day=2C but it does not appear to have stuck around.  Tonight I=
 had a call from a lady about two ill looking hummingbirds=2C which have si=
nce expired.  The one died in her barn and the other was seen to have the t=
ongue hanging out with what looked like a swollen throat.  It also died.  I=
've advised the caller to contact DNR and to make sure they get the bodies =
to send away to determine the cause of death. =20

=20

I watched the other night a battle royal.  In Lunenburg there had been seve=
n European starling nests within close proximity.  All were at the same age=
 level except for one nest.  The only one that has young yet was being guar=
ded by one of the adults. An infiltrator tried to enter the hole where the =
young were and watching wrestling would have not been any better then the s=
how that I saw.  I thought the two were going to kill one another.  In the =
end the adult with the young pinned the other underneath it and held it dow=
n and after an escape was chased off.  Later both adults were chasing anoth=
er intruder.=20

=20

Oh yeah=2C the saga of the white-breasted nuthatches at Clearland continued=
.  I last left you with three of the young being decapitated by a chipmunk =
and then an additional two.  The interloper was taken care of=2C but the ad=
ults appeared to or were acting as if they were going to re-nest.  It turns=
 out that one chick was left and it fledged the nest.  So out of six nestli=
ngs one did survive.  =20

=20

Sincerely=2C

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport
 		 	   		 =20
MSN Dating: Find someone special. Start now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734384=

--_75c99c10-59af-4c39-a92b-cfd36a980367_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I've been lax recently with my postings.&nbsp=3B My friend David Walmark ha=
d a&nbsp=3B semi-palmated plover today at Kingsburg.&nbsp=3B Last week I ch=
ecked on the eagle nest at Dayspring and the young one is half the size of =
the adult.&nbsp=3B It still had fuzzy white on the head=2C but was up on th=
e edge flexing its wings.&nbsp=3B I had a report of a brown thrasher at Spr=
ingfield at the residence of Don Barnes.&nbsp=3B I've also had a call about=
 an eastern bluebird that was at Barrs Corner=2C for a day=2C but it does n=
ot appear to have stuck around.&nbsp=3B Tonight I had a call from a lady ab=
out two ill looking hummingbirds=2C which have since expired.&nbsp=3B The o=
ne died in her barn and the other was seen to have the tongue hanging out w=
ith what looked like a swollen throat.&nbsp=3B It also died.&nbsp=3B I've a=
dvised the caller to contact DNR and to make sure they get the bodies to se=
nd away to determine the cause of death.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I watched the other night a battle royal.&nbsp=3B In Lunenburg there had be=
en seven European starling nests within close proximity.&nbsp=3B All were a=
t the same age level except for one nest.&nbsp=3B The only one that has you=
ng yet was being guarded by one of the adults. An infiltrator tried to ente=
r the hole where the young were and watching wrestling would have not been =
any better then the show that I saw.&nbsp=3B I thought the two were going t=
o kill one another.&nbsp=3B In the end the adult with the young pinned the =
other underneath it and held it down and after an escape was chased off.&nb=
sp=3B Later both adults were chasing another intruder.&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Oh yeah=2C the saga of the white-breasted nuthatches at Clearland continued=
.&nbsp=3B I last left you with three of the young being decapitated by a ch=
ipmunk and then an additional two.&nbsp=3B The interloper was taken care of=
=2C but the adults appeared to or were acting as if they were going to re-n=
est.&nbsp=3B It turns out that one chick was left and it fledged the nest.&=
nbsp=3B So out of six nestlings one did survive.&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Sincerely=2C<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />Enter for a chance to get your town phot=
o on Bing.ca! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9734379' target=
=3D'_new'>Submit a Photo Now! </a></body>

--_75c99c10-59af-4c39-a92b-cfd36a980367_--