[NatureNS] Recent Highlights

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 14:14:50 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_DNG10SVXzedyYfhiJ53xXg)

Blackburnian Warbler

Last Sunday on my Warbler Walk at Jerry Lawrence Provincial Park we found a Blackburnian Warbler, singing high in the tree tops as per usual.  This is not unusual since I thought it was a migrant passing through but in a discussion with Fulton Lavender he said the species was a confirmed breeder here some two years ago.  Both the Blackburnian and Bay-breasted Warblers have been confirmed by others in the boreal forest south of the park but this is the first confirmation of the Blackburnian in the park raising the park's breeding total to 18 warbler species.  It is likely that sooner or later the Bay-breasted Warbler will be confirmed here as well.  I returned the following Monday and sure enough the Blackburnian Warbler was still present.  Here's a photo of this bird: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers/0185.html

Prior to checking out the Blackburnian Warbler at Jerry Lawrence Provincial Park I visited the Old Annapolis Road Trail and found both the Blackburnian and Bay-breasted Warblers at the Rees River bridge just a 100 metres from the parking lot.  http://www.trails.gov.ns.ca/SharedUse/hx041.html  This may be a reliable spot to find both species but don't quote me!

Here's the album page for my warbler photos of the last couple of weeks: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers/index.html  Keep scrolling past the blanks to view the whole page.

Egrets of Sambro Bog

Here are some photos of the recent egrets visiting Sambro Bog, the Great Egret:  http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0102.html and the Snowy Egret: http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0113.html and http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0123.html

White Rhodora Species??

Laura and I found a wildflower species alongside Sandy Cove Road, HRM, that resembles a Rhodora but is white.  Is this a Rhodora or is it a different wildflower? http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Wildflowers/0120.html

My website is under revision.  I've been simplifying the format so that I can spend more time on the trails photographing nature and less time in front of the computer screen, so excuse the blank spaces.

Hans

_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_DNG10SVXzedyYfhiJ53xXg)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><STRONG>Blackburnian Warbler</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Last Sunday on my Warbler Walk at Jerry Lawrence
Provincial Park we found a <STRONG>Blackburnian Warbler</STRONG>, singing high
in the tree tops as per usual.&nbsp; This is not unusual since I thought it was
a migrant passing through but in a discussion with Fulton Lavender he said the
species was a confirmed breeder here some two years ago.&nbsp; Both the
<STRONG>Blackburnian </STRONG>and <STRONG>Bay-breasted Warblers</STRONG> have
been confirmed by others in the boreal forest south of the park but this is the
first confirmation of the <STRONG>Blackburnian</STRONG> in the park raising the
park's breeding total to 18 warbler species.&nbsp; It is likely that sooner or
later the <STRONG>Bay-breasted</STRONG> <STRONG>Warbler</STRONG> will be
confirmed here as well.&nbsp; I returned the following Monday and sure enough
the <STRONG>Blackburnian Warbler</STRONG> was still present.&nbsp; Here's a
photo of this bird: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers/0185.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers/0185.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Prior to checking out the Blackburnian Warbler at
Jerry Lawrence Provincial Park I visited the Old Annapolis Road Trail and found
both the <STRONG>Blackburnian</STRONG> and <STRONG>Bay-breasted
Warblers</STRONG> at the Rees River bridge just a 100 metres from the parking
lot.&nbsp; <A
href="http://www.trails.gov.ns.ca/SharedUse/hx041.html">http://www.trails.gov.ns.ca/SharedUse/hx041.html</A>&nbsp;
This may be a reliable spot to find both species but don't quote me!
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Here's the album page for my warbler photos of the
last couple of weeks: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers/index.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Warblers/index.html</A>&nbsp;
Keep scrolling past the blanks to view the whole page.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><STRONG>Egrets of Sambro Bog</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Here are some photos of the recent egrets visiting
Sambro Bog, the <STRONG>Great Egret</STRONG>:&nbsp; <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0102.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0102.html</A>&nbsp;and
the <STRONG>Snowy Egret</STRONG>: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0113.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0113.html</A>&nbsp;and
<A
href="http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0123.html">http://hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Birds/Waders/0123.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><STRONG>White Rhodora
Species??</STRONG></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT></STRONG>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Laura and I found a wildflower species alongside
Sandy Cove Road, HRM, that resembles a Rhodora but is white.&nbsp; Is this a
Rhodora&nbsp;or is it a different wildflower? <A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Wildflowers/0120.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/StockPhotos/Wildflowers/0120.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>My website is under revision.&nbsp; I've been
simplifying the format so that I can spen