[NatureNS] Getting cubbed while atlassing!

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 22:50:32 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_L1evgwkrBqV2/iLo1tfbKQ)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi all
Speaking about Osprey nests, I was atlassing in Island L., Guys.( =
20NR50) near the Liscomb River Alder Grounds protected Area today May 22 =
and found an Osprey nest basically in the centre of a large cut-over =
with a few reminant large maples left. Usually I estimate the nest =
location from the map or web site if it is difficult walking to get to a =
nest, but this particular location was giving me problems as the road =
was not actually on the map. I decided I would walk in to the nest and =
get a GPS reading from there. The walking was not bad luckily as all I =
had with me today were sandals.   As I got close to the nest site, a =
large dead maple, I saw a tree directly behind it with 2 nice nest holes =
and looked forward to giving the snag a rap to see if any one was home. =
At that time I heard a bit of a growl  and by the time I registered what =
made the sound, I was eying bear cubs climbing each of the 2 trees I was =
looking forward to checking out. Needless to say, my adrenaline started =
to pump pretty good as I could not see where momma bear was. I quicky =
moved away then thought- I came all this way for the GPS co-ordinates, =
so I quickly scribbled them down and back tracked to the truck without =
seeing momma bear. When I looked back from the safety of a quick jump =
into the vehicle, I saw no sign of any of the bears.=20

The Osprey where initially disturbed by the bear climbing the nest tree, =
but as I watched they quickly got back to business including copluation =
at the edge of the nest. . Guess the nest has not progressed too far yet =
although it is very well constructed.=20

The dawn chorus in this square today included a Great Horned Owl, but I =
missed Woodcock. Luckily as I was tracing down an unfamiliar robin-like =
song in a conifer plantation, I flushed a Woodcock, but could not find a =
nest. I also flushed a Robin from a small conifer in the same area with =
a completed nest, but no eggs. I never did see the bird making the =
unfamiliar song.- most likely a robin.
=20
New migrants for me in the square were Swainson's Thrush, Yellow-bellied =
Flycatcher,Red-eyed Vireo, Blackpoll Warbler ( most likely not a =
breeder), Blackburnian and Canada Warbler. Present in good numbers were =
at least 30 Bay-breasted Warblers including a female. There were a =
number of Lincolns Sparrows and Least Flycathers, but I had them last =
weekend as well.=20
It is a very Boreal square and I had  Greater Yellowlegs in 2 locations =
with breeding calls and a Rusty Blackbird.=20
 When it got warm, I netted a Spring Azure ? and a Silver-bordered =
Fritillary ( pretty sure of this). There were 4 types of Odes. Not good =
at these thins but 2 were same as Dereks- 4 Spotted Skimmer and American =
Emerald.
cheers
Ken=

--Boundary_(ID_L1evgwkrBqV2/iLo1tfbKQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Speaking about Osprey nests, I was atlassing in
Island L., Guys.( 20NR50) near the Liscomb River Alder Grounds protected
Area&nbsp;today May 22&nbsp;and found an Osprey nest basically in the centre of
a large cut-over with a few reminant large maples left. Usually I estimate the
nest location from the map or&nbsp;web site if it is difficult walking to get to
a nest, but this particular location was giving me problems as the road was not
actually on the map. I decided I would walk in to the nest and get a GPS reading
from there. The walking was not bad luckily as all&nbsp;I had with me today were
sandals. &nbsp;&nbsp;As I got close to the nest site, a large dead maple, I saw
a tree directly behind it with 2 nice nest holes and looked forward to giving
the snag a rap to see if any one was home. At that time I heard a bit of a
growl&nbsp; and by the time I registered what made the sound, I was eying bear
cubs climbing each of the 2 trees I was looking forward to checking out.
Needless to say, my adrenaline started to pump pretty good as I could not see
where momma bear was. I quicky moved away then&nbsp;thought- I came all this way
for the GPS co-ordinates, so I quickly scribbled them down and back tracked to
the truck without seeing momma bear. When I looked back from the safety of a
quick jump into the vehicle, I saw no sign of any of the bears. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The Osprey where initially disturbed by the bear
climbing the nest tree, but as I watched they quickly got back to business
including copluation at the edge of the nest. . Guess the nest has not
progressed too far yet although it is very well constructed. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The dawn chorus in this square today included a
Great Horned Owl, but I missed Woodcock. Luckily as I was tracing down an
unfamiliar robin-like song in a conifer plantation, I flushed a Woodcock, but
could not find a nest. I also flushed a Robin from a small conifer in the same
area with a completed nest, but no eggs. I never did see the bird making the
unfamiliar song.- most likely a robin.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>New migrants for me in the square were Swainson's
Thrush, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher,Red-eyed Vireo,&nbsp;Blackpoll Warbler ( most
likely not a breeder), Blackburnian and Canada Warbler. Present in good numbers
were at least 30 Bay-breasted Warblers including a female. There were a number
of Lincolns Sparrows and Least Flycathers, but I had them last weekend as well.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>It is a very Boreal square and I had&nbsp; Greater
Yellowlegs in 2 locations with breeding calls and a Rusty Blackbird.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;When it got warm, I netted a Spring Azure
?&nbsp;and a Silver-bordered Fritillary ( pretty sure of this). There were 4
types of Odes. Not good at these thins but 2 were same as Dereks- 4 Spotted
Skimmer and American Emerald.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_L1evgwkrBqV2/iLo1tfbKQ)--