Red-breasted Nuthatches (was [NatureNS] Can anyone tell us ?)

Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 12:20:08 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_960250==.ALT

         I have found Red-breasted Nuthatches uncommonly scarce this
year and throughout last year.  Whenever I have mentioned this to
anyone, they would always volunteer that they had one or two at their
feeders, etc.  That could be so, but such anecdotal reports might
obscure their diminished numbers in the province at large.  So I was
interested when Angus MacLean wrote on 2 May, re Palmeter's Woods, that:

         "1 Red-breasted Nuthatch. Since the apparent die-off 6-7
years ago, this species has been scarce in these parts. Before that
they were numerous, found most everywhere. We had several coming to
our feeders and a pair nested on our property. Now a few
White-breasted Nuthaches but no Red-breasted. This may be just a
local happening?"

         I spent last weekend atlassing in the Economy/Bear River
area, and in all those hours observed only one Red-breasted Nuthatch,
which was the first I have seen this year.  They are definitely
scarce, in my experience, so I will be interested to see what the
Migration Count reveals.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 09:50 AM 22/05/2010, you wrote:
>Can anyone tell us where we might likely find an osprey in the
>Kentville/ Wolfville area?
>Also...are there any red-breasted nuthatches around? We haven't seen
>one this year yet.
>Thanks,
>
>Andy and Lelia Dean
>86 Baden Powell Drive
>Kentville, N.S.
>(902) 678-6243

--=====================_960250==.ALT

<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I have
found Red-breasted Nuthatches uncommonly scarce this year and throughout
last year.&nbsp; Whenever I have mentioned this to anyone, they would
always volunteer that they had one or two at their feeders, etc.&nbsp;
That could be so, but such anecdotal reports might obscure their
diminished numbers in the province at large.&nbsp; So I was interested
when Angus MacLean wrote on 2 May, re Palmeter's Woods, that:<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>&quot;1
Red-breasted Nuthatch. Since the apparent die-off 6-7 years ago, this
species has been scarce in these parts. Before that they were numerous,
found most everywhere. We had several coming to our feeders and a pair
nested on our property. Now a few White-breasted Nuthaches but no
Red-breasted. This may be just a local happening?&quot; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I spent
last weekend atlassing in the Economy/Bear River area, and in all those
hours observed only one Red-breasted Nuthatch, which was the first I have
seen this year.&nbsp; They are definitely scarce, in my experience, so I
will be interested to see what the Migration Count reveals.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 09:50 AM 22/05/2010, you wrote:<br>
where we might likely find an osprey in the Kentville/ Wolfville
area?<br>
Also...are there any red-breasted nuthatches around? We haven't seen one
this year yet.<br>
Thanks,<br>
86 Baden Powell Drive<br>
Kentville, N.S.<br>