[NatureNS] Eastern Bluebird pair- Abercrombie + Swifts and smoke!

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 22:03:38 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_7Kn0FEMTDpSlCdhOSyzuJQ)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
Hi all
Adele MacKay near Company Rd. in Abercrombie. Pictou Co. reports a pair of Eastern Bluebirds in her yard today ( May 19). Bluebirds haveve been noted in the Abercrombie-Abercrombie Pt. area for 2-3 years now and have been reported in at least 3 Pictou Co. atlas squares.
Last night (May 18) after our well attended naturalist talk on Butterflies, at least 25 people assembled near the Temperance St. School to watch the Chimney Swift show.
Alas the show was unlike the night before maybe because of the warmer temperature, but only about half the number of birds appeared to be present and they went in in several spurts rather than all at once. After ths majority went in, the observers were stunned when a puff of smoke came out the chimney. Some thought a new pope had been elected but we are not sure of the effect of the smoke on the swifts, but maybe that is why only half were seen from the night before. No official count was done as I was a little late arriving from the meeting in which a number signed up to help in the Maritime Butterfly atlas.
cheers
Ken

--Boundary_(ID_7Kn0FEMTDpSlCdhOSyzuJQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Adele MacKay near Company Rd. in Abercrombie.
Pictou Co. reports a pair of Eastern Bluebirds in her yard today ( May 19).
Bluebirds haveve been noted in&nbsp;the Abercrombie-Abercrombie Pt. area for 2-3
years now and have been reported in at least 3 Pictou Co. atlas squares.
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Last night (May 18) after our&nbsp;well attended
naturalist talk on Butterflies, at least 25 people&nbsp;assembled&nbsp;near the
Temperance St. School to watch the Chimney Swift show. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Alas the show was unlike the night before maybe
because of the warmer temperature, but only about half the number of birds
appeared to be present and they went in in several spurts rather than all at
once. After ths majority went&nbsp;in, the observers were stunned when a puff of
smoke came out the&nbsp;chimney. Some thought a new pope had been
elected&nbsp;but we</FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;are not sure of the
effect of the smoke&nbsp;on the swifts, but maybe that is why only half were
seen from the night before. No official count was done as I was a little late
arriving from the meeting in which a number signed up to help in the Maritime
Butterfly atlas. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_7Kn0FEMTDpSlCdhOSyzuJQ)--