[NatureNS] Murder by Chipmunk

From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 12:56:20 -0400

There are many ingenious devices designed to keep predators out of
nesting boxes.  Most are designed to keep larger predators from
reaching in and down to grab the nestlings or eggs.  This is done by
extending the depth of the entry-hole,
See: http://www.bluebirdsforever.com/baffles.html

However, the chipmunks are small enough simply to crawl in.  They will
kill nestlings of birds which may compete for seed, such as the
birdseed left out by us humans.  It seems to be a fact of behavior,
that the competition is worst where the food supply is great:
excitement builds on the discovery of a rich resource.  For example, I
never see ducks squabbling and fighting quite as much as when being
fed with abundant corn.  It may be a case of a super-normal stimulus.

As some readers have said, we seem to be taking sides here in
condemning the chipmunk by calling him “murderous.”  Of course, it is
applying human terms to animals, and the tongue-in-cheek element is
missed in email messages.  Nonetheless, people generally sympathize
with certain animals over others.  Thus everyone loves dolphins, and
we feel bad about their being occasionally taken in tuna nets.  No one
seems to feel as sorry for the tuna, because it doesn't squeak
appealingly, and do tricks at Marine World.  People may lament about
the dolphins over a lunch of tuna sandwich!

I actually like chipmunks, but it is perfectly proper to manage one’s
local wildlife, just as is done in all parks and reserves, and is
inevitable on the Earth as a whole.  Almost everyone traps mice which
get into human houses.  I have live-trapped red squirrels which had
found their way indoors, and deported them far away, into the woods.
It was important to get the invaders out of the house, and prevent
their spreading to their friends the secret of their way in (which
cost me deep in the purse to find and correct).

When I snap-trap a nice Deer Mouse, it is true that its young may
starve and die.  It is unavoidable, but little worse than the fate of
almost all wild animals.  Dying of starvation in a comfortable nest
might be preferable to being torn apart by a predator, which is the
ultimate fate of almost all mammals, even predators themselves. Even
old lions are abandoned by the pride, and fall prey to hyenas.  In the
African bushveld, perhaps only elephants (and possibly hippos) have a
chance of dying of old age without being killed and eaten by predators.

Because I am so ridiculously soft-hearted, and anthropomorphise even
mice, I have been known to transport live-trapped mice out of the
neighborhood, thereby using fuel, and crowding the mouse population,
spreading their diseases, causing muscine territorial conflicts, and
perhaps helping them into some other human's abode.  The mice I treat
so generously probably get eaten by a predator, anyway.

Now back to the Nuthatches: a nestbox mounted on a piece of metal
electrical conduit, well greased, will probably be predator-proof.
Some people put a metal cone on the conduit to deter climbers.