[NatureNS] Nests

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 23:45:11 +0000

--_dcbb8424-1fe9-496c-bb15-d7fcfb6a2164_

This morning at Dayspring both adults were away from the nest in a nearby t=
ree.  Tonight one adult was sitting high up on the one side of the nest=2C =
so this indicates that there is definitely young in the nest.  At least thi=
s is the actions that I've observed in past years that indicate that young =
are present.

=20

At work today one of my co-workers pointed out a dark-eyed junco feeding yo=
ung just outside of the office window.  There are three well developed youn=
g which should fledge within three or four days on the basis of their size.

=20

I found two more European starling nests today inside of light poles at abo=
ut three feet above the ground.  At one of those nests someone had put elec=
trical tape over the hole to keep the adult from feeding the young.  I rect=
ified that.

=20

Out of the five nests I located the other day one site was taken away from =
House sparrows.  The pair were forlornly nearby and looked lost and out of =
place.  On the perch where they were another starling was actively feeding =
a nest with young.

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

=20

=20
 		 	   		 =20
30 days of prizes: Hotmail makes your day easier! Enter Now.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9729710=

--_dcbb8424-1fe9-496c-bb15-d7fcfb6a2164_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
This morning at Dayspring both adults were away from the nest in a nearby t=
ree.&nbsp=3B Tonight one adult was sitting high up on the one side of the n=
est=2C so this indicates that there is definitely young in the nest.&nbsp=
=3B At least this is the actions that I've observed in past years that indi=
cate that young are present.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At work today one of my co-workers pointed out a dark-eyed junco feeding yo=
ung just outside of the office window.&nbsp=3B There are three well develop=
ed young which should fledge within three or four days on the basis of thei=
r size.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I found two more European starling nests today inside of light poles at abo=
ut three feet above the ground.&nbsp=3B At one of those nests someone had p=
ut electrical tape over the hole to keep the adult from feeding the young.&=
nbsp=3B I rectified that.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Out of the five nests I located the other day one site was taken away from =
House sparrows.&nbsp=3B The pair were forlornly nearby and looked lost and =
out of place.&nbsp=3B On the perch where they were another starling was act=
ively feeding a nest with young.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />30 days of prizes: Hotmail makes your d=
ay easier! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9729705' target=3D'=
_new'>Enter now</a></body>

--_dcbb8424-1fe9-496c-bb15-d7fcfb6a2164_--