[NatureNS] Early tree swallow egg dates

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 12:11:09 -0300

Hi all,

Lots of people have offered various evidence that spring's early this
year, so I thought I'd mention that the first egg at Marty Leonard's
Tree Swallow boxes near Gaspereau and Wolfville Ridge was laid c. 6
May this year.

That's four days earlier than last year's first egg date, and a full
11 days earlier than the median (middle) lay date since 1994 (when
Sherman Boates and co monitored the sites). It's the earliest lay date
since those records began.

Plus, the earliest lay date is often a bit of an outlier, happening a
few days before most of the birds really get going. But this year it
seems to be the real deal, with more and more nests having eggs each
day since the 6th.

Cheers,
Andy Horn (though the observers were Hendrik Reers and Sarah McGuire)