[NatureNS] Yesterday's bird walk with Bridget Stutchbury, Pt Pleasant Park

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 08:46:23 -0300

Hi all,

A couple people asked that I relay how the Thursday AM bird walk in
PPP with Bridget Stutchbury went, so here goes.

There was a good turnout (15 people??). The air was bracing, the birds
pretty quiet, but the light and the trees were gorgeous. Highlights
were:

- good chances to separate some of the more (e.g., White-throated
Sparrow) and less (e.g., Yellow-rumped Warblers) singers

- raven feeding young at a well-hidden nest

- a Yellow Warbler singing west of the Lower Parking Lot (new to me
for this spring in the park)

- the cardinal singing, but alas never seen, near Fir Walk

- one of the merlins near there (maybe no coincidence)

- nice views and hearings of a Solitary Vireo where Pine Road kinks west

All amidst good conversations and Bridget's occasional comments on the
natural history of some of the birds we were seeing. Thanks to Mark
Butler and co for lining it up.

Cheers,
Andy Horn
Halifax