[NatureNS] Unconfirmed European Goldfinch report, West Pennant area

From: Andrew Horn <aghorn@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, NS-RBA <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 07:21:22 -0300

Hi all,

A friend who lives just inland of West Pennant gave a plausible
description (copied below) of a European Goldfinch visiting her feeder
on May 10.

She'd hoped to photograph it yesterday when she had all day to do so,
but it didn't appear. So I thought I'd send out this amber alert to
anyone who might have friends with feeders in the area.

Of course, even if it is one, it's almost certainly an escapee. But
they're still kind of cool.

Cheers,
Andy Horn
Halifax

The description:

"It was eating sunflower seeds with an American goldfinch at the
feeder – about the same size.  I saw its back first – buff with black
(dark brown) and white striped markings on its wings as they crossed
its back.  Then it turned sideways I saw a white sided face with a
longish beige beak – longer than the other finches.  Wings on the side
had a single yellow streak.  Then it turned its face full on and only
then did I see a bright red face mask that did not extend to the sides
– just in the front face.  I don’t remember what was on the top of its
head but the first impression from the back was unmarked buff except
for the ends of the wings.

Then I went looking in the book and found nothing that matched in any
way – until I reached the last page of Sibley where there are a couple
of “exotics” and there it was!  Is there a look alike?"