[NatureNS] Re: Something to lift the spirits of the sick today

Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 23:00:40 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_4576062==.ALT

Richard's subject line struck a chord with me.  Birdsong does lift
the spirits, perhaps especially when one is not feeling well.  I'm
glad we have doctors like Richard who are sensitive to this.

There was a very interesting radio broadcast along these lines on BBC
Radio 4's Nature a few years ago.  A sound recordist  who specialized
in nature documentaries recorded the dawn chorus in a park adjacent
to a major children's hospital in Liverpool, England, and the
resulting recording was made available to the patients and
staff,  who "can escape the noisy, impersonal environment of the
hospital and immerse themselves in the sounds of a dawn chorus by
listening to the chorus on a personal audio player. Long term, the
cathartic effect of the dawn chorus on the patients is something
which the hospital is particularly keen to explore."

This and other wonderful broadcasts from that radio show are
available for listening on the web.  Visit
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/nature_20071001.shtml  There is a
list of Previous Programmes in a blue column on the right hand
side.  This one is called "Sounds of Britain - An Urban Dawn
Chorus".  Click on the title of the show which interests you, then
when the page refreshes, a description of the show will appear.  Look
over in the blue left hand column for the "Listen again" box, and
click on the date inside that box.  The shows are half an hour
long.  They cover a wide range of natural history topics, not only
birds.  So far I have particularly enjoyed broadcasts about the
natural soundscape of the island of Islay in the Hebrides, the
decline of traditional orchards, the persecution of Goshawks and
other raptors, gardening for wildlife, urban river restoration, as
well as several on birdsong.  Chris, there is even a very interesting
show on beetles!

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

P.S. Don't be surprised if you find that before your desired
broadcast starts, you hear a few minutes of headlines of other
upcoming shows  ...

At 11:03 AM 09/05/2010, Richard Stern wrote:
>There was a N.Cardinal singing loudly and beautifully from some
>trees very close to the E.R. at Valley Regional Hospital this
>morning, easily audible to patients and staff, with the doors open.
>
>Richard

--=====================_4576062==.ALT

Richard's subject line struck a chord with me.&nbsp; Birdsong does lift
the spirits, perhaps especially when one is not feeling well.&nbsp; I'm
glad we have doctors like Richard who are sensitive to this.<br><br>
There was a very interesting radio broadcast along these lines on BBC
recordist</font>&nbsp; who specialized in nature documentaries recorded
the dawn chorus in a park adjacent to a major children's hospital in
Liverpool, England, and the resulting recording was made available to the
impersonal environment of the hospital and immerse themselves in the
sounds of a dawn chorus by listening to the chorus on a personal audio
player. Long term, the cathartic effect of the dawn chorus on the
patients is something which the hospital is particularly keen to
explore.&quot;<br><br>
available for listening on the web.&nbsp; Visit
=3D"autourl">
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/nature_20071001.shtml</a>&nbsp; There
is a list of Previous Programmes in a blue column on the right hand
side.&nbsp; This one is called &quot;Sounds of Britain - An Urban Dawn
Chorus&quot;.&nbsp; Click on the title of the show which interests you,
then when the page refreshes, a description of the show will
appear.&nbsp; Look over in the blue left hand column for the &quot;Listen
again&quot; box, and click on the date inside that box.&nbsp; The shows
are half an hour long.&nbsp; They cover a wide range of natural history
topics, not only birds.&nbsp; So far I have particularly enjoyed
broadcasts about the natural soundscape of the island of Islay in the
Hebrides, the decline of traditional orchards, the persecution of
Goshawks and other raptors, gardening for wildlife, urban river
restoration, as well as several on birdsong.&nbsp; Chris, there is even a
very interesting show on beetles!<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
P.S. Don't be surprised if you find that before your desired broadcast
starts, you hear a few minutes of headlines of other upcoming shows&nbsp;
...<br><br>
At 11:03 AM 09/05/2010, Richard Stern wrote:<br>
loudly and beautifully from some trees very close to the E.R. at Valley
Regional Hospital this morning, easily audible to patients and staff,
with the doors open.<br><br>
Richard</blockquote></body>