[NatureNS] National bird of Canada

From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 12:15:24 -0300

Paul, While Wikipedia needs to be taken with a grain of salt, since its
democratic nature means it's often weakened with unedited mistakes, here's
what it says about the First Nations origins of "Whiskey Jack":

Wisakedjak (Wìsakedjàk in Algonquin, Wihsakecahkw in Cree and Wiisagejaak in
Oji-cree) is the Crane Manitou found in northern Algonquian mythology,
similar to the trickster god Nanabozho in Ojibwa aadizookaanan (sacred
stories) and Inktonme in Assiniboine myth. He is generally portrayed as
being responsible for a great flood which destroyed the world originally
made by the Creator, as well as the one who created the current world with
magic, either on his own or with powers given to him by the Creator for that
specific purpose. His name is subject to many variant spellings, including
Weesack-kachack, Wisagatcak, Wis-kay-tchach, Wissaketchak,
Woesack-ootchacht, and undoubtedly others. It was sometimes Anglicized as
Whiskey Jack, which became an alternate name for the Gray Jay.