[NatureNS] The count today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 01:47:51 +0000

--_47380ff0-c24d-4c5c-a0a3-336ef052c2a6_

Hi all:

=20

I don't know how others made out=2C but there seemed to definitely be a fal=
l out of migrants in this area today.  I've been running the same route now=
 for many years and I had an all time high of 67 species.  That number like=
ly would have been higher had it not started to pour rain at 16:00.  I was =
unable to walk at a lot of locations that I normally go to as a result.  It=
 also put a big dent into bird activity.

=20

Of note I had two puzzling sightings.  Amongst a group of 160 barn swallows=
 I had two which looked in all regards like normal barn swallows=2C but did=
 not have the forks at the end of the tail.  What stuck out on these two bi=
rds was a distinctive white ring that went around the whole tail about a qu=
arter of the way in from the end.  I've never seen this before.

=20

The other puzzlement was a warbler that looked in all regards like a Nashvi=
lle warbler.  It had the gray hood with the strong white eye-ring=2C but on=
 the head was a darker spot=2C like you would expect in a Wilson's Warbler.=
 =20

=20

Noteables for today were along the Centenial Trail in Bridgewater where I n=
ormally see a lot of different warbler species only one was present.  I had=
 11 American redstarts all together.

=20

Warbler numbers overall were down for black and white=2C  but up for all ot=
her species.  I had 10 species of warblers.

=20

40 yellow-rumped warbler

9 palm warblers

15 northern parulas

2 yellow warblers

1 chestnut-sided warbler

15 black-throated green warblers

3 black and white warblers

8 Nashville warblers

4 ovenbirds

12 American redstarts

=20

4 spotted sandpipers together were the most that I've ever had on this rout=
e during the count day.

=20

2 hooded mergansers were abnormal

=20

1 lesser yellowlegs was not normal

=20

3 Wilson's snipe at three locations was not normal.  One location only is t=
he usual if I find any at all. =20

=20

18 American tree swallows is way higher then normal

210 barn swallows is extremely out of the range of what I normally find.  T=
he most before was usually 8-10.

=20

gray jays at two locations is not normal.  One location if I'm lucky is the=
 norm.

=20

ruby-crowned kinglets were far fewer then normal.

=20

5 gray catbirds with two pairs is above normal.  Two of these pair were in =
Bridgewater=2C which is definitely not normal.  I've never found catbirds t=
here during the count.

=20

A chipping sparrow is not normal for the count area.

=20

A bobolink for this time of the year is also abnormal.  I'm told that my fr=
iend Glen Rhodenizer had one on his farm a week ago at Second Peninsula.

=20

No sign of the cattle egret today=2C but it had been at Second Peninsula on=
 the farm of Glen Rhodenizer for one day only a week ago. =20

=20

The little blue heron I'm told has moved out to Oakland to the marsh beside=
 Indian Point.  I'm not sure if it is still there or not=2C but that was th=
e latest known location. =20

=20

James R. Hirtle

Bayport

=20

=20

=20
 		 	   		 =20
30 days of prizes to be won with Hotmail.  Enter Here.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9729709=

--_47380ff0-c24d-4c5c-a0a3-336ef052c2a6_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
--></style>
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I don't know how others made out=2C but there seemed to definitely be a fal=
l out of migrants in this area today.&nbsp=3B I've been running the same ro=
ute now for many years and I had an all time high of 67 species.&nbsp=3B Th=
at number likely would have been higher had it not started to pour rain at =
16:00.&nbsp=3B I was unable to walk at a lot of locations that I normally g=
o to as a result.&nbsp=3B It also put a big dent into bird activity.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Of note I had two puzzling sightings.&nbsp=3B Amongst a group of 160 barn s=
wallows I had two which looked in all regards like normal barn swallows=2C =
but did not have the forks at the end of the tail.&nbsp=3B What stuck out o=
n these two birds was a distinctive white ring that went around the whole t=
ail about a quarter of the way in from the end.&nbsp=3B I've never seen thi=
s before.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The other puzzlement was a warbler that looked in all regards like a Nashvi=
lle warbler.&nbsp=3B It had the gray hood with the strong white eye-ring=2C=
 but on the head was a darker spot=2C like you would expect in a Wilson's W=
arbler.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Noteables for today were along the Centenial Trail in Bridgewater where I n=
ormally see a lot of different warbler species only one was present.&nbsp=
=3B I had 11 American redstarts all together.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Warbler numbers overall were down for black and white=2C&nbsp=3B but up for=
 all other species.&nbsp=3B I had 10 species of warblers.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
40 yellow-rumped warbler<BR>
9 palm warblers<BR>
15 northern parulas<BR>
2 yellow warblers<BR>
1 chestnut-sided warbler<BR>
15 black-throated green warblers<BR>
3 black and white warblers<BR>
8 Nashville warblers<BR>
4 ovenbirds<BR>
12 American redstarts<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
4 spotted sandpipers together were the most that I've ever had on this rout=
e during the count day.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
2 hooded mergansers were abnormal<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
1 lesser yellowlegs was not normal<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
3 Wilson's snipe at three locations was not normal.&nbsp=3B One location on=
ly is the usual if I find any at all.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
18 American tree swallows is way higher then normal<BR>
210 barn swallows is extremely out of the range of what I normally find.&nb=
sp=3B The most before was usually 8-10.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
gray jays at two locations is not normal.&nbsp=3B One location if I'm lucky=
 is the norm.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
ruby-crowned kinglets were far fewer then normal.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
5 gray catbirds with two pairs is above normal.&nbsp=3B Two of these pair w=
ere in Bridgewater=2C which is definitely not normal.&nbsp=3B I've never fo=
und catbirds there during the count.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A chipping sparrow is not normal for the count area.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A bobolink for this time of the year is also abnormal.&nbsp=3B I'm told tha=
t my friend Glen Rhodenizer had one on his farm a week ago at Second Penins=
ula.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
No sign of the cattle egret today=2C but it had been at Second Peninsula on=
 the farm of Glen Rhodenizer for one day only a week ago.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The little blue heron I'm told has moved out to Oakland to the marsh beside=
 Indian Point.&nbsp=3B I'm not sure if it is still there or not=2C but that=
 was the latest known location.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
Bayport<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   		  <br /><hr />30 days of prizes: Hotmail makes your d=
ay easier! <a href=3D'http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9729704' target=3D'=
_new'>Enter now</a></body>

--_47380ff0-c24d-4c5c-a0a3-336ef052c2a6_--