[NatureNS] bear attacks in NS

Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 21:38:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tuma Young <tumayoung@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0-1966401964-1273293482=:85686

Kwe Msit Wen:

The only time I have ever seen a bear is when I was living in Vancouver, driving in North Van and a bear scooted across the road.  Other then that, I have tramped through the woods and never seen one but I imagine that bears have seen or heard me coming.  The worse thing that ever happened was I discovered a tick, after visiting Keji.  I had never seen a tick (being from CB, ticks are almost unknown) and thought I was going to die from Lyme disease.

There was the time when a small bear wandered into the Eskasoni reserve some 25 years ago.  The police informed everyone to say inside, school was cancelled and a general hysteria was all over the reserve.  Men with guns hunted it down until it was killed.  Now it is a rug in someone's living room.

I helped my mother skin a bear once in Maine-the hunters shot it, took off the jawbone (for the bounty) and the gallbladder, and dumped the carcass at the dump.  My mother, being a trapper, found out about it, went  to the dump and we skinned it, dried it and sold the hide to the fur buyers in Antigonish.  I even remember the price paid for it: $10-just enough to buy my school supplies for the year.  We stopped trapping in 1984.

Practice safe wood etiquette, do not go alone in the woods, alert the animals to your presence and if you carry pepper spray, do not spray yourself.

Tuma

(Let Us Choose The Correct Behaviour)