[NatureNS] APBS + Northumberland Shore birds-Apr. 18

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:35:17 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_gn0/7gXcEAHT3QINgYXrXA)

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all
After early morning (Apr. 18) atlassing the River Hebert square ( 20LR96), I moved on to the Amherst Pt. Bird Sanctuary (APBS). I took a quick look at the impoundments from the Nappan Rd. and moved on to the main entrance where I met up with the group of atlas regional co-coordinators and led by chief coordinator, Becky Stewart. It was just after 7 a.m. and the air was filled with spring sound. In the hour or so walk we tallied just over 30 species. Highlights were a nice variety of waterfowl, which included a couple of male BLUE-WINGED TEAL and Northern Shoveler.  Canada Geese were very prominent. PIED-BILLED GREBES were back in full force and quite vocal. There were 8-10 present in the couple of impoundments were examined.
There were a pair of COMMON LOONS present and an OSPREY made a short appearance. A few TREE SWALLOWS (maybe 8-12) were flying over the ponds.
A Raven flew by carrying nesting material (NB).  The large nest on the power line appeared to have a Bald Eagle sitting on it. It was not visible, but at one point I heard it call. Several species posed for great looks, many singing -Ruby & Golden-crowned Kinglets, Purple Finch, and Boreal Chickadee. A Swamp Sparrow was singing from some cattails. There was more to explore, but it was time for more atlas planning and we reluctantly made our way back to the Wandlyn.

After our successful morning session, the weather had deteriorated, but Ross Hall and I decided we should still take a long way back to Truro via Tidnish, Linden and Wallace. It was rain and half snow, but we made a few noteworthy observations. We walked down a slick with mud Irving Rd. near Truemanville to search for Skunk Cabbage, and were lucky to hear a PALM WARBLER singing, and a pish brought out a second along with a Ruby Crowned Kinglet and a dull White-throated Sparrow. We also had a few singing White-winged Crossbills in the area.
At Linden we were able to pick out a first spring Iceland Gull and a nice adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL. The tide was high here and we did not see as many waterfowl as we hoped. That sure had mostly Green-winged Teal, Black Ducks and Red-breasted Mergansers.  At River Philip we noted our first spring GREATER YELLOWLEGS.   We did see a few Hooded Mergansers and Ring-necked Ducks along some back roads in the Wallace area. Also near Wallace, a male NORTHERN HARRIER flew over the area near the quarry.
cheers
Ken

PS on Apr. 17,  a stop at Wentworth Park produced a singing EASTERN PHOEBE near the bridge.

--Boundary_(ID_gn0/7gXcEAHT3QINgYXrXA)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton NS<BR>B0K
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>After&nbsp;early morning (Apr. 18)&nbsp;atlassing
the River Hebert square ( 20LR96), I moved on to the Amherst Pt. Bird Sanctuary
(APBS). I took a quick look at the impoundments from the Nappan Rd. and moved on
to the main entrance where I met up with the group of atlas regional
co-coordinators and led by chief coordinator, Becky Stewart. It was just after 7
a.m. and the air was filled with spring sound. In the hour or so walk we tallied
just over 30 species. Highlights were a nice variety of waterfowl, which
included a couple of male&nbsp;BLUE-WINGED TEAL&nbsp;and Northern
Shoveler.&nbsp; Canada Geese were very prominent.&nbsp;PIED-BILLED
GREBES&nbsp;were back in full force and quite vocal. There were 8-10 present in
the couple of impoundments were examined. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>There were a pair of&nbsp;COMMON LOONS&nbsp;present
and an&nbsp;OSPREY made a short appearance. A few&nbsp;TREE SWALLOWS&nbsp;(maybe
8-12)&nbsp;were flying over the ponds. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>A Raven flew by carrying nesting material
(NB).&nbsp; The large nest on the power line appeared to have a Bald Eagle
sitting on it. It was not visible, but at one point I heard it call. Several
species posed for great looks, many singing -Ruby&nbsp;&amp; Golden-crowned
Kinglets, Purple Finch, and Boreal Chickadee. A Swamp Sparrow was singing from
some cattails.&nbsp;There was more to explore, but it was time for more atlas
planning and we reluctantly made our way back to the Wandlyn. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>After our successful morning session, the weather
had deteriorated, but Ross Hall and I decided we should still take a long way
back to Truro via Tidnish, Linden and Wallace. It was rain&nbsp;and half snow,
but we made a few noteworthy observations. We walked down a slick with
mud&nbsp;Irving Rd. near Truemanville to search for Skunk Cabbage, and were
lucky to hear&nbsp;a&nbsp;PALM WARBLER&nbsp;singing, and a pish brought out a
second along with a Ruby Crowned Kinglet and a dull White-throated Sparrow. We
also had a few singing White-winged Crossbills in the area. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>At Linden we were able to pick out a first spring
Iceland Gull and a nice adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL. The tide was high here
and we did not see as many waterfowl as we hoped. That sure had mostly
Green-winged Teal, Black Ducks and Red-breasted Mergansers.&nbsp; At River
Philip we noted our first spring GREATER YELLOWLEGS.&nbsp; &nbsp;We did see a
few Hooded Mergansers and Ring-necked Ducks along some back roads in the Wallace
area. Also near Wallace, a male NORTHERN HARRIER flew over the area near the
quarry. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Ken</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>PS on Apr. 17,&nbsp; a stop at Wentworth Park
produced a singing EASTERN PHOEBE near the bridge.
</DIV></FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_gn0/7gXcEAHT3QINgYXrXA)--