[NatureNS] Nature Photos and the "Crazy Ivan"

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 17:15:45 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_tCxU0ReN43blaanPsuednQ)

I've uploaded a mix of photos to my website; birds, flowers and Nova Scotia scenery.

The photos of Mayflowers are all taken along Sandy Cove Road, our favourite walk, thanks to the diversity of birds, butterflies, wildflowers and orchids.

Here's the part you don't want to hear but should nonetheless.  There are Coyotes in this area!  So if you walk this road carry your walking stick, whistle, screamers or bear spray.

If you remember the movie, "The Hunt for Red October", you might recall the "Crazy Ivan" maneuver.  This is the practise, at least according to the movie, where Soviet submarines suddenly reverse course to detect and deter American submarines from following close astern in the noisy wake of the Soviet sub where they may not be detected.  So in Coyote country practise the "Crazy Ivan" maneuver and turn around periodically to check to see if your being stalked.  There is probably no rural area in Nova Scotia that doesn't have Coyotes as a threat.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/April2010/0120.html
_________________________________
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
Website: http://hanstoom.com
_________________________________

--Boundary_(ID_tCxU0ReN43blaanPsuednQ)

<HTML><HEAD>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.18904">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>I've uploaded a mix of photos to my website; birds,
flowers and Nova Scotia scenery.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The photos of <STRONG>Mayflowers</STRONG> are all
taken along Sandy Cove Road, our favourite walk, thanks to the diversity of
birds, butterflies, wildflowers and orchids.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Here's the part you don't want to hear but should
nonetheless.&nbsp; There are <STRONG>Coyotes</STRONG> in this area!&nbsp; So if
you walk this road carry your walking stick, whistle, screamers or bear
spray.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>If you remember the movie, "The Hunt for Red
October", you might recall the "Crazy Ivan" maneuver.&nbsp; This is the
practise, at least according to the movie, where Soviet submarines suddenly
reverse course to detect and deter American submarines from following close
astern in the noisy wake of the Soviet sub&nbsp;where they may not be
detected.&nbsp; So in Coyote country practise the "Crazy Ivan" maneuver and turn
around periodically to check to see if your being stalked.&nbsp; There is
probably no rural area in Nova Scotia that doesn't have Coyotes as a
threat.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/April2010/0120.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/April2010/0120.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>_________________________________<BR>Hans
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>Website: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com">http://hanstoom.com</A>

--Boundary_(ID_tCxU0ReN43blaanPsuednQ)--