[NatureNS] Cedar Waxwings

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:30:41 -0300
From: Eleanor Lindsay <kelindsay@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_QEUzdQccr7r+W5MQbHP1eA)

I had a flock of approx 20 c. waxwings polishing off my holly berries
over the weekend.

Eleanor Lindsay, Seabright, St Margarest Bay

On 14/04/2010 11:20 AM, Christopher Majka wrote:
> H Ian,
>
> On 14-Apr-10, at 8:06 AM, iamclar@dal.ca wrote:
>
>> We, too, had a flock of 13 Cedar Waxwings turn up to consume
>> shrivelled fruits in a barberry hedge yesterday around noon. I have
>> always thought of it as a food of last resort for robins and
>> waxwings. It is sometimes used by wintering Bohemian Waxwings, so
>> can't be a matter of improvement by spring.
>
> I had a large flock around the house on Sunday. There's not much to be
> had at this time of year, but there are generally a few mountain ash
> berries that the starlings have missed, and also some small berries on
> a multiflora rose that grows along a fence. We have a few shrivelled
> quinces, but they didn't appear to be interested in those. Must be the
> proverbial slim pickings this time of year when it comes to fruit.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris
>

> Christopher Majka <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca> | Halifax, Nova Scotia,
> Canada
>
> * Research Associate: Nova Scotia Museum |
> http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/research-asfr.htm
> * Review Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin | http://www.coleopsoc.org/
> * Subject Editor: ZooKeys |
> http://pensoftonline.net/zookeys/index.php/journal/index
> * Associate Editor: Journal of the Acadian Entomological Society |
> http://www.acadianes.org/journal.html
> * Editor: Atlantic Canada Coleoptera |
> http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html
>
> "Whenever I hear of the capture of rare beetles, I feel like an old
> war-horse at the sound of a trumpet." - Charles Darwin

--Boundary_(ID_QEUzdQccr7r+W5MQbHP1eA)

<head>
 http-equiv="Content-Type">
  <title></title>
</head>
waxwings polishing off my holly berries over the weekend.</font><br>
St Margarest Ba</font>y<br>
Christopher Majka&nbsp; <c.majka@ns.sympatico.ca> | Halifax, Nova
Scotia, Canada
* Research Associate: Nova Scotia Museum |
http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mnh/research-asfr.htm
* Review Editor: The Coleopterists Bulletin | http://www.coleopsoc.org/
* Subject Editor: ZooKeys |
http://pensoftonline.net/zookeys/index.php/journal/index
* Associate Editor: Journal of the Acadian Entomological Society |
http://www.acadianes.org/journal.html
* Editor: Atlantic Canada Coleoptera |
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Environment/NHR/atlantic_coleoptera.html
"Whenever I hear of the capture of rare beetles, I feel like an old
war-horse at the sound of a trumpet." - Charles Darwin
  <pre wrap="">