[NatureNS] Black-backed Woodpeckers,

From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:00:29 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_/jYGxMrF0WpURFMLtT591g)

Hi Angela,

The Black-backed woodpecker is rare to uncommon but wide spread in our coniferous forests.  Listen for a gentle tapping like some one tapping a chop stick on a chalk board, or a load territorial tapping that often descends at the end.  Like many of our uncommon birds they can be hard to find.  Learn their song and tapping using online recordings.  That's the easiest way to find them in the woods.

Hans